Roller Team

jobboyce

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

You may well be aware of this, but I notice that “What Motorhome” magazine reviewed the Pegaso 740 in May and July 2016, with a summary here

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/roller-team-pegaso-740/915070

and there are further comments elsewhere

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pegaso+740

(Not the same as discussing pros and cons with an owner of course.)

From frontal photos it looks like the Pegaso 740 has a small-diameter ‘projector’ type of headlamp (one on each side) that provides main and dipped beams.

If that’s correct you might find that (like my Skoda car’s projector headlamps) it’s possible to modify the dipped-beam pattern for driving on the right simply by moving a lever within the headlamp unit.

Do you know which headlamp bulb is used?

I’ve taken another look at pictures of Pegaso 740 headlamps - there are some reasonable close-ups here

and I’m less sure now that they are ‘projector’ type where there’s a single-filament bulb and the dipped-beam pattern is produced by a solenoid-operated ‘shade’ that obstructs part of the main-beam’s light output.

The other thing is that the standard headlamp fitted to current Ducatos has separate bulbs for main and dipped beam and it’s not easy to see how the wiring (and the system’s ‘logic’) for that arrangement could be married to a single headlamp having just a single-filament bulb.

It would be a lot simpler for a motorhome converter producing an A-class model to retain the standard headlamp (as Pilote does), or fit a pair of separate headlamps on each side with one lamp providing the main beam and the other the dipped beam, or fit a single headlamp with a twin-filament bulb (eg. a H4 type) where one filament provides the main beam and the other filament provides the dipped beam. If your Pegaso has the last type, modifying the dipped beam pattern is likely to involve fitting Eurolites-type beam deflectors

http://www.travelspot.co.uk/product-eurolites.html

or ‘masks’.

Presumably your motorhome still has the standard Ducato "Headlight Alignment Corrector" facility that allows the dipped beam angle to be dashboard-adjusted according to the vehicle’s load-state? If it proved difficult to fit deflectors/masks, using that facility to reduce dazzle would be an option.

Headlamp units fitted to A-class motorhomes tend to be made by Hella, and will either be ‘bespoke’ to a design/specification chosen by the motorhome manufacturer, or taken from Hella’s after-market catalogue. There is almost certainly a maker’s name somewhere on your Pegaso’s headlamps, though not necessarily visible with the headlamp in place.

(Have you asked the Roller Team dealership who suppllied your motorhome what’s the best approach headlamps-wise for driving abroad. Me, I’m just guessing...)

Thanks for that , Interesting. I did ask the Roller Team Dealer who supplied our Pegaso and he suggested bits of tape????, then I contacted Roller Team Parts Aftersales at Grimsby and got fobbed off because they have no answer and clearly don't do customer service/help. It is looking like stick on shades (beam adaptors) if for appearance only.

You can (at least you could!) get headlamp beam masks from Halfords. They come with pre-printed templates for use on a variety of vehicles, but it is unlikely one of those will match the headlamps on your van. However, the reason I mention them is that the material is silver backed and self-adhesive. Silver backed will reject heat that may otherwise cause local stressing of the transparent headlamp "window". The adhesive is designed to be peelable, not to leave residue, and not to develop a permanent bond.

If you can get your van square to a wall in the dark with the dipped beams lit, it is easy to see the left handed "kick up" on both lamp units, designed to illuminate the nearside verge. You merely need to attach a piece of the above material large enough to eliminate this kick-up on each lamp unit. You will then end with a horizontal dipped beam with no kick-up to either side. The only way with most modern lamp units is trial and error, as the beam is controlled totally from the reflector, with the front of the unit being just a transparent protective window.

It can be helpful to use plain white paper to experiment, as it is then possible to see how the beam pattern appears at the "window" surface. The kick-up will be generated above centre, and to the right side of the headlamp. Just play until it works (the two lamps will require different shaped masks), then transfer your templates to the actual masking material, and cut them out. It is a good idea to label them left/right as they can (usually) be peeled off after use, transferred back onto their release sheet, and used again several times before the adhesive has had enough. You heard it here first! :-D

I think the headlamp, DRL, side-light, and front direction-indicator of a Pegaso 740 are all set back behind a clear plastic protective ‘shield’ (as on my Skoda car). If that’s correct, then sticking a tape mask on the shield would be one way to go, but using the “Eurolites” deflectors should be better.

LHD Pegasos will have headlamps appropriate for right-hand traffic, so either those lights will be different to the ones fitted to RHD Pegasos or the units will have an in-built capability to modify the dipped-beam pattern (as on Hymer A-class lights).

I don’t know how accessible the rear of Pegaso 740’s headlamps are, but I’d want to inspect whether they have a ‘switch-over’ mechanism before playing about with masks or deflectors.

Archived