You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Format:  Go
Roof Crack Help / Advice needed
AuthorMessage
userPaul.S
Posted: 7 April 2021 8:15 AM
Subject: RE: Roof Crack Help / Advice needed

Having a look around

Thanks Brian and to everyone else who has commented.

Excellent advice and details provided by you all which makes me much more informed in my quest to find this elusive motorhome.

Any further contributions would be really welcome. Also, is anyone aware of a schedule of typical pre covid price lists for used motorhomes. I have heard stories of people buying motorhomes 6 years ago, putting 20 to 30 thousand miles on them and selling them now for exactly the same price they paid. Just want to gauge how much over the odds I am paying at this time and if it would be worth waiting for foreign holidays to open back up.

kind regards

Paul

userBrian Kirby
Posted: 7 April 2021 10:15 AM

Foer the same price, maybe, but don't for get the 6 years of price inflation that will have taken place over those 6 years! Also, don't forget that the £ € rate will have fluctuated quite widely over a 6 year period, and even the prices of UK produced vans are affected by exchange rates as almost everything that makes up the production cost (except labour, land, and taxes) is imported. It is true that the rate of depreciation on motorhomes is generally slower after the first few years than for cars, but anything mechanical depreciates over time.

Owning, running, and using, a motorhome is a costly decision. The best overall bet in terms of value for money is probably something just over three years old. The first whack of depreciation should by then have taken place, the rate will be settling down, and the vehicle should still have some warranty cover (though not the base) and will have fairly new equipment that shouldn't land you with largish, unexpected, bills for a few years yet.

I think the all electric motorhome, and how that will impact prices, is way into the future. The early runners are bound to be costly, if for no other reason than the cost (in today's terms) of the batteries. Then they will need charging facilities at stopping places, which will have to be installed, meaning in many cases installation from new, requiring possibly enhanced supplies, the cost of which will need to be recouped by someone.

One thing you haven't said is where you intend using the van. UK or abroad? For how long might you go?
userpepe63
Posted: 7 April 2021 10:35 AM

Morning Paul.

Purely "anecdotal" but from our periodic thumbing through of the likes of ebay, Autotrader etc, it does "appear" that what would've been 15-19k vans, are now sitting at 20-24k -ish...?

As for your point about people selling a van and getting what they paid for it several years earlier..
Well, if the van has been bought "right" and it sits in a "sort after" price bracket (as in, reasonable/"doable" outlay for a decent first van), then even without the current "staycation" factor, getting the bulk of your "stake fee" back isn't that unusual really...
(I know we did when we swapped/sold our vans).

I would say, try not to restrict yourself too much, when it comes the the vans you rule in and/or out.
It can be hard enough choosing (and then finding!) the correct van and layout as it is...
Good luck
(edit- sorry Brian, I crossed your post )

Edited by pepe63 2021-04-07 10:49 AM
userPaul.S
Posted: 7 April 2021 10:45 AM

Having a look around

Use will be mainly in the UK but we may venture over seas as (if) confidence grows. We envisage frequent short breaks mainly.

userBrian Kirby
Posted: 7 April 2021 3:51 PM

pepe63 - 2021-04-07 10:35 AM
Morning Paul.
Purely "anecdotal" but from our periodic thumbing through of the likes of ebay, Autotrader etc, it does "appear" that what would've been 15-19k vans, are now sitting at 20-24k -ish...?
As for your point about people selling a van and getting what they paid for it several years earlier..
Well, if the van has been bought "right" and it sits in a "sort after" price bracket (as in, reasonable/"doable" outlay for a decent first van), then even without the current "staycation" factor, getting the bulk of your "stake fee" back isn't that unusual really...
(I know we did when we swapped/sold our vans).
I would say, try not to restrict yourself too much, when it comes the the vans you rule in and/or out.
It can be hard enough choosing (and then finding!) the correct van and layout as it is...
Good luck
(edit- sorry Brian, I crossed your post )

Great minds, Pepe??
userBrian Kirby
Posted: 7 April 2021 3:54 PM

Paul.S - 2021-04-07 10:45 AM
Use will be mainly in the UK but we may venture over seas as (if) confidence grows. We envisage frequent short breaks mainly.

Using camp sites, or other? Short breaks being weekends, a week or two max, or longer? Not nosy, Paul, just trying to get a picture.
userPaul.S
Posted: 7 April 2021 4:31 PM

Having a look around

Camp sites for weekends through summer months and probably one or two longer breaks (two weeks max) when venture further afield. That said, with my new working arrangements being from home, if we can get internet connection there is nothing really to stop us staying even longer term on some journeys.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 7 April 2021 4:32 PM

This April 2021 (and earlier) Glass’s articles may be of interest

https://glass.co.uk/news/uk/motorcaravan-market-update-april-2021/
userBrian Kirby
Posted: 7 April 2021 6:05 PM

Paul.S - 2021-04-07 4:31 PM
Camp sites for weekends through summer months and probably one or two longer breaks (two weeks max) when venture further afield. That said, with my new working arrangements being from home, if we can get internet connection there is nothing really to stop us staying even longer term on some journeys.

Then, if there are just two of you, I think you should find 6.0 metres length fine, with a wide variety of makes and layouts to choose from. Width, however, IMO, is a bit more complicated.

The "standard" motorhome body runs at about 2.3M wide, with a few at 2.35. These are fine if using mostly main roads, although the overall width (including the outside mirrors) can leave the mirrors vulnerable to being bashed. We tend to avoid main roads as much as possible, and I found our first van, at 2.3M wide, a bit of an encumbrance once onto minor roads.

So, our next van was 2.05M wide, which was much more comfortable. All, except the Hymer, have been 6.0M long. The Hymer was 6.75M long, but was 2.1M wide, so reasonably manageable.

Present van is 2.05M wide x 6M long, and being a PVC, is the easiest drive of the lot. Its drawback in layout terms is that the sliding side door takes away a fair chunk of potentially usable wall space, and the two hinged rear doors can be a bit inconvenient when retrieving something from the rear on a wet, windy, night! Also, the fact that it is a converted van means the bodyshell has "tumble-homes" at roof and floor level, which take away some otherwise useful storage space. However, all that said, we are fine in it van for weeks away.

As with everything, it is a compromise. Big van = a lot more internal space, but its greater bulk and length restrict manoeuvrability at times and, in some cases, the places you can get to (e.g. weight, width, and height restrictions)

Spacious lounges tend to figure large in UK made vans (often achieved by converting lounge seating to beds and vice versa), as do ovens and grills (It's a climate thing! ) , whereas continental vans more often centre the layout on a forward dinette and just a hob (although many put ovens into vans destined for the UK market - not always to great advantage, it has to be said!).

I think the best advice, before buying, is to hire something close to the sort of layout you think will suit you for maybe a week, and use that time to really evaluate how well it works for you, both on the road and as accommodation. You may then review/change your priorities at much less cost than by buying and then deciding you don't like what you bought! In similar vein, if you find you enjoy the whole package, be prepared to begin thinking about going further, and for longer - when available (and usable!) storage space is likely to come to the fore as a consideration.

I still reckon about 6M should be workable, even for extended trips (we often do 10+ weeks in spring) but the way internal space is used becomes more critical than for long weekends (think bedding and outerwear as your trips extend to cover not just latitude, but also seasons, and possibly altitude as well. You'll get there, but don't rush it!
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 8 April 2021 8:57 AM

Hobby and Hymer both marketed slim “Van” coachbuilt low profile models in the early-ish 2000s and Hymer built narrow “Exsis” A-class models on Ford Transit or Fiat Ducato chassis.

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/used-van-buyer-hymer-exsis-i-2009-present

The norm for the length of coachbuilt motorhomes has increased over the last 20 years, but around-6m-long models are still offered including the occasional A-class design.

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/best-motorhomes-under-6m

In the past ‘short’ A-class motorhomes were fairly common and a 2002 “Which Motorcaravan” listing showed models close to 6m-long being made by Hymer, Knaus, N+B, Weinsberg, Eura Mobil, Machzone, Marquis(Mirage), Pilote, and Rapido.

This Out&AboutLive article relates to current A-class models, but the design pros and cons (eg. cost of replacement windscreen) will generally apply to older vehicles.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/buyers-guide-advice/motorhomes/details/a-class-motorhomes/16

I notice that a 2002 Hymer Starline 640 is advertised for £19,000 in the article’s For Sale section

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/for-sale/motorhomes/hymer-starline-640/1030530

but I believe the length of that model was 6.7m.
userPaul.S
Posted: 8 April 2021 1:42 PM

Having a look around

Thanks again,

The details you are providing really are appreciated.

Derek - I contacted the guy about the Hymer. I am number 3 in the queue to view so doubt it will get down to me. Good spot though. Oddly, I can see it via your link, but not when searching on the website. Is there a way to set private sellers only? I can only seem to view Trade offers?

kind regards

Paul
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator