Roof corrosion

mikejkay

The flexible solar panels that were on my roof were attached (by Travelworld) with small dabs of mastic about 40mm in diameter and 1 - 2mm thick. Seven dabson the front panel and five dabs on the rear panel.

When I removed the panels following several weeks of hot dry weather I came across a significant amount of water trapped beneath the panels. I have now discovered blistered paint and spots of corrosion, up to 8mm across, over several discrete areas that were beneath the panels. There is no sign of paint damage or corrosion on any other part of the roof.

Hymer say that this damage is covered under warranty. Travelworld don't want to know and, anyway, it would be a 700 mile round trip just to get them to look at it. They also say that fixing flexible panels in this manner is perfectly acceptable and, of course, other Hymer dealers are booked up for months.

Does any body know how to deal with corrosion of aluminium? The equivelant of Kurust perhaps.

mikejkay - 2020-06-23 11:12 PM

Does any body know how to deal with corrosion of aluminium? The equivelant of Kurust perhaps.

Deb (the Swarfega manufacturer) used to sell a product called Alutrans, intended for cleaning aluminium truck bodies. I used it very successfully to clean and remove corrosion from various aluminium parts during the restoration of an old car I used to own. That was quite a few years ago though, and I think they changed the name of the product some time ago as well, but worth investigating.

I can't see a similar product on their current website, but you could ask them.

https://www.debgroup.com/uk/company/global-locations

mikejkay - 2020-06-23 11:12 PM

I’m not sure you need to do the equivalent of Kurrust.

I owned a Landrover for 27 years (aluminium body) and the opinion then was that if the paint was knocked off, the aluminium would form a protective oxidised layer so could be left as is. The only issues the bodywork suffered from was electrolysis where dissimilar metals were in contact with the vehicle body. Naturally, if you intend to repaint yourself rather than making use of the warranty then you’ll want to remove the oxidisation.

BruceM - 2020-06-24 8:17 PM

This might help the op decide what to do next https://www.corrosionpedia.com/definition/76/aluminum-corrosion – environmental conditions seem to be a key factor especially the impact of trapped water.

As is often the case with these articles it totally ignores intagranular corrosion which often happens with alloys, I would note that in the aircraft industry we use alclad for high strenght alloy sheet, this is a layer of pure ali on the alloy base, but any damage such as scratches will enable the corrosion to gain a hold in the base. As I posted earlier it all comes down to what type of alloy is used.

Thanks for all the information folks. As the areas of corrosion are quite small I think I will just rub them down and prime and paint them with touch up paint. The environment which caused the corrosion in the first place no longer exists and I am replacing the flexible panels with rigid ones that will stand proud of the roof. For anyone contemplating flexible panels, be warned.

Another factor is it seems that I won't be able to get the work done by a Hymer dealer for many months and I want to get the new panels up and working as soon as possible.

I will try and attach a photo of one of the corrosion spots. If anybody thinks it's something different please let me know.

mikejkay - 2020-06-26 1:49 PM

hallii - 2020-06-25 8:53 PM

I reckon when the oxide is removed you will find a hole, this will need proper repair, paint is not going to do it.

H

OUCH! :-(

..have you considered sticking a flexible solar panel over it..?

...sorry!... ;-)

pepe63 - 2020-06-26 3:52 PM

mikejkay - 2020-06-26 1:49 PM

hallii - 2020-06-25 8:53 PM

I reckon when the oxide is removed you will find a hole, this will need proper repair, paint is not going to do it.

H

OUCH! :-(

..have you considered sticking a flexible solar panel over it..?

...sorry!... ;-)

Gaffer tape job

I have seen a limo which had it's peeling paint 'repaired' with gaffer tape. :D

P.s. Just had to check something, 30 years ago I decided the ali slab side of my 'sevenesque' would look better with a wide stripe, so as a experiment to see what it would look like I stuck on a 2" wide line of gaffer tape, it's still there!

Archived