Roof open or closed?

ColinM50

I've always closed the central Heiki (?) roof light on my Eldiss, but recently saw a similar style M/H pulling away from a garage with his open. I stopped the driver and told him he may have forgotten to close it, but he was most adamant that he always drives with it open, weather permitting and why can't nosey people shut up, loads of people tell him the same. So that's me told

What's everybody's take on this? Open or closed?

Keithl - 2021-10-16 4:56 PM

I tried that once, inadvertently, and the Heiki slammed shut and broke off one catch.

Lesson learnt and now it's on the pre-flight check-list!

Keith.

Agreed, plus it creates a lot of wind noise and is only feasible with the blinds fully opened (Unless you want the blind sucked out through the rooflight). There is also the tedious little issue of running into a shower, and finding out how much water can get in before you can stop to shut the rooflight! :-D

ColinM50 - 2021-10-16 4:49 PM

I've always closed the central Heiki (?) roof light on my Eldiss, but recently saw a similar style M/H pulling away from a garage with his open. I stopped the driver and told him he may have forgotten to close it, but he was most adamant that he always drives with it open, weather permitting and why can't nosey people shut up, loads of people tell him the same. So that's me told

What's everybody's take on this? Open or closed?

SHUT!!!

With a bit of luck that arrogant and rude owner will discover the expensive and inconvenient way the error of his ways!

My Rapido’s User Manual describes the operation of the several different makes/types of skylight fitted to the vehicle. For each make/type a warning is clearly printed that the skylight should be closed before the motorhome is to be driven. (Example of warning message attached below)

As this is such a commonsense thing to do, I suspect that many (most?) motorhome handbooks would include similar advice in a ‘Before moving off’ section.

The Elddis Handbook section advises as follows

Whenever making a journey with your campervan, either setting off on holiday or returning home, it is good practice to run through this simple checklist.

(i) Close and secure all cupboards and drawers and secure any loose articles.

(ii) Do not store tins, bottles, etc. in overhead lockers.

(iii) Close and secure all windows and roof lights.

etc. etc.

Swift motorhome handbooks advise that, before moving off, a check should be made that All windows/doors/roofights are closed and secured and the Bailey motorhome handbooks advise an owner to Close and secure all windows and roof lights. before moving off.

skylight.jpg.80a4c872f3997934cadcf30be5b20308.jpg

Fullwelly - 2021-10-19 7:24 PM

One year, at the side of the A96 near Inverness was a full Heiki rooflight, no doubt ripped off and damaged.

I wonder what the cost of replacement was.

£580 for a complete Heki 2 though they're on ebay at £520.

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ventilation/camper-van-conversion/dometic-heki-rooflights/dometic-heki-2-rooflight-and-spare-parts

Fullwelly - 2021-10-19 7:24 PM

One year, at the side of the A96 near Inverness was a full Heiki rooflight, no doubt ripped off and damaged.

I wonder what the cost of replacement was.

To much to risk driving with it open I just had to replace my front one as I'd left it part open and a gust of wind ripped it open almost taking it right off now I've made blocks to fit in slides to avoid it opening so far again.

I'm sorry you where replied to in that manner most would have been pleased for the warning I'm sure

Archived