Roof rack and solar panels

Bobby2020

Sorry, it’s me again, I forgot to ask you kind people where we could purchase a roof rack and solar panel x 2 to place them on..... are solar panels easy to install for off grid? We do not have a fixed ladder to access the roof either, is this a good purchase do you think? Again thank you for your kind and helpful responses and thank you for the lovely welcome

It would assist if you highlighted which model of van you want to place this equipment on and why you want to mount the solar panels on a roof rack instead of directly to the van roof.

Re the lack of a ladder. You will need to clean the panels periodically if you wish to maximise your solar harvest.

Whilst it is a good idea to have an air gap beneath the solar panels as they lose efficiency as they get hotter, you must bear in mind the possible upward force when driving. Where possible fix them to the roof. Also if on a roof rack would not be so secure against theft.

weldted - 2020-05-14 12:11 PM

Whilst it is a good idea to have an air gap beneath the solar panels as they lose efficiency as they get hotter, you must bear in mind the possible upward force when driving. Where possible fix them to the roof. Also if on a roof rack would not be so secure against theft.

Also, have a look at the latest flexible panels which generally glue to the roof.

Examples:

https://www.sghomeleisure.co.uk/product-category/12vsolar/solar-panels/

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/catalogue/02h03-flex-solar-panels

Our MH has these and they have many advantages over the raised mount type.

We chose this type as we have a curved roof and wanted to use the flat areas for SAT and MIFI antennas.

The installation is 24 months old and absolutely no problems.

However, of course, they are not portable (lol)

Our solar panel is fitted directly behind the dinette skylight, against all health and safety rules I fully open the skylight and stand on the dinette table to clean the solar panel, if you don't do this correctly you will break the table and/or injure yourself.

Panels on our previous and current van are attached to a self built roof rack design using Bosch-Rexroth alu profiles

https://www.boschrexroth.com/en/xc/products/product-groups/assembly-technology/topics/aluminum-profiles-solutions-components/index

No problems at all with aerodynamics and easy to remove/replace/maintain. Theoretically someone could steal them but I find that quite unlikely as they'd need to come fully equipped with ladders, appropriate tools and spend quite a bit of time figuring out how to do it. Not to mention knowledge that panels are up there (not visible from the ground). I guess it would be possible if it was left in unattended storage somewhere.

Bobby2020 - 2020-05-22 9:54 AM

Thank you for your reply, but need a roof rack to carry things like paddle board, do you know where I could get one please ?

But to fit on what kind of van? Fiat, Ford, MB, High roof, Low roof, Coachbuilt, etc., etc...

Keith.

Archived