Roscoff ferry

Kandy

having just seen a report on the BBC site regarding the attempts made by people trying to get to the UK, having been kicked out of Calais, should I be concerned about using the aire at Roscoff in the next few weeks. I have stayed there before and spent several hours away from the van to go into town for food. Has anyone had or heard of any problems with someone trying to get into their vans? thanks

This is a 2016 French article about migrants at Roscoff

https://tinyurl.com/ybpwjpgy

Ouistreham is undoubtedly the riskiest of Brittany Ferries’s ports for migrants seeking to enter trucks/motorhome/caravans, and it would be very unwise to leave a motorhome unattended there even for a short period of time.

I’ve not heard/read of any warnings recently regarding migrants seeking to enter privately-owned vehicles at Roscoff, but it stands to reason that there’s the potential for this to happen. I’d be very wary of leaving a motorhome unattended on the Roscoff aire for several hours...

There has been at least one documented story concerning Roscoff.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3147277/Couple-left-shocked-stowaway-migrant-jumped-wardrobe-camper-van-arrived-UK-holiday-France.html

However we have never been too concerned about the likelihood of a stowaway. Our preferred Aire the night before departing for home is in Saint Pol de Leon, but often park in the railway station carpark in Roscoff for a last lunch and a wander round the town. As you may know Roscoff is difficult to park in so the station is handy and reasonably away from the docks etc.

I think if you park in a public place, you can check the underside of the van and the interior in the knowledge there are people around. The incidents of violence on property seem to have been mostly associated with Calais and violence against the person seem few and far between. If you have your suspicions you could always invite the gendarmes to check your van for you.

Davy

I come back from Roscoff 3 times a year and use the aire regularly but so do many who are not using the ferry so theres no way that anyone can say your on tomorrows ferry. If you'd rather there are several aires within a easy hrs drive of the port to be used.

I've always been sceptical of the Daily Mail couple as they seem sympathetic to migrants He got in van without doing any damage ? .

TeamRienza - 2019-01-29 8:31 PM

There has been at least one documented story concerning Roscoff...

The Daily Mail article was published in mid-July 2015.

I said above "I’ve not heard/read of any warnings RECENTLY regarding migrants seeking to enter privately-owned vehicles at Roscoff” (and the suggestion in the Daily Mail article is that the migrant was not present in the motorhome when it drove on to the ferry) but this September 2018 French article

https://tinyurl.com/y8qmskk5

says

As Calais and Ouistreham further north, the ports of Cherbourg, Saint-Malo and Roscoff are regularly the place of attempts of passage of illegal migrants to England or even Ireland.

and

Recall that in Roscoff - where about thirty migrants are permanently present at the edge of the port since 2016, the last attempted crossing had occurred on August 12 last . Four Sudanese were hidden in a truck that had to embark on a ferry; one of them, who said he was 17 years old, was stuck in the chassis and had to lift the truck to pull it out, wounded and seriously dehydrated.

We have stayed many times at tthe Aire at Roscoff, which is in fact about a mile back from the port, and a farily long walk along the sea front....never seen any sign of migrants. and we last stayed at the end of September, and the aire was full most of that time.

Archived