Route through Spain

Mikeandthewife

Hi everyone

Traveling through Spain in the motorhome (San Sebastian to Gibraltar) beginning of May on toll route through Burgos, Valladolid, Salamanca, Plasencia, Caceras, Seville, then onto Gibraltar. Does anyone know of good places to visit along this route in addition to those mentioned, we have plenty of time and dont want to miss any places of interest.

Mike

We have stopped in Burgos a few times on the way down. The cathedral is well worth a visit and has a lot of artefacts relating to El Cid, including his grave and coffin. Also of great interest is the convent / nunnery a mile or so from the city centre but accessible by bus. The convent is run by a closed, silent order and when on the tour you have to wait until various doors have been closed so that the nuns do not see or hear you. The tour is really interesting as the convent is the burial place of numerous kings, queens and other royals of various Spanish royal families. The building is incredible with most of the floors being made from original 16th century oak. Burgos was also the site of a concentration camp during the Civil War but we have not found the site so far. If you are intending to stay at the camp site make sure the weather is reasonably dry, otherwise it gets very churned up. There is an interesting snack bar at the entrance to the site!

Good luck Mike, we coming back as you going down!

Bob

Hi Bob

Lots of good info on Burgos, thankyou, sounds like you've done this trip a few times, can you recommend any more stop offs that's worth a visit.

I've made note of your site info as well, we've been stuck in grass/mud a few times, if I see you on route I'll give you a wave (or a glass of wine if where parked up)

Mike

Good itinerary.

Before going south, at a short distance from San Sebastian you will find Bilbao which with its museums and the beautiful old town is worth a visit.

Between Salamanca and Plasencia, it needs a detour but the fortified city of Avila certainly deserves as well.

You have already foreseen the beautiful Caceres and I see that ancient Merida has been recommended.

Between Seville and Gibraltar you could stop at Jerez de la Frontera and Cadiz.

Stopover/overnighting:

You could refer to https://www.campercontact.com/en and to the Spanish sites https://www.areasac.es/areas-servicio-autocaravanas/areasaces/espana_4_1_ap.html and https: //www.lapaca .org /.

The last two are only in Spanish, lapaca provides a rough translation by Google.

For campsites the always valid http://www.archiescampings.eu/ or usual ACSI site https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/

If you have a sat nav, the first four mentioned sites have their downloadable database.

Certainly campercontact and archie for a little money provide an App too.

I can't help you with the wheelchair, I'm sorry.

Max

Of course the beautiful Granada that I didn't mention as a little off itinerary.

Other places not far away could be Cordoba with the beautiful Mezquita and a noteworthy historic center.

Then Malaga, birthplace of Pablo Picasso (Museum and foundation), Castle, Roman and Arab remains.

Roughly one hundred miles east, the nice Almeria.

Not to mention the Pueblos Blancos Region (Ronda, Arcos de la Frontera, Zahara de la sierra, etc.).

But for these latter places, it is to be checked whether they can be easily visited by people on a wheelchair.

Max

Hi again Mike

Nobody has mentioned Aranjuez yet! A brilliant site with a lovely town. We have stayed there a few times as a stopover site but it really is much more. There is a Royal Palace to visit which is quite stunning and the ticket includes a tour around the Barge Museum which is right next to the campsite and is an absolute must see. Also there is a direct train link from the town to Madrid and, although we have not done it yet , you can get a taxi from the site to the train station- it is something we plan to do in April as we have not done it yet!

Cordoba is a must see too.

Bob

I would add Toledo to the must see cities.

There's a campsite quite close in which has a bus service stopping at the site entrance. It's got a good restaurant.

The cathedral has two spectacular features, The Great Monstrance of Arfe an exquisite gold and silver 10 foot high sacred piece. El Transparente is an amazing structure behind the main altar. There's also the El Greco museum and any number of steel knife/sword makers.

Of course in Spain there are many nice towns and sites but I tried to stay quite close to Mike's original itinerary.

For instance, north of Madrid, you will find the huge Monastery El Escorial with its incredible library.

Few chilometers far from here the "Valle del los Caidos", civil war memorial. Until few months ago burial site of the "Caudillo" Francisco Franco.

However, I may confirm the nice Aranjuez royal palace but you don't expect it at Versailles (F), Schoenbrunn (A) or even Caserta (I) levels.

Toledo is a stunning town, don't forget the impressive Alcazar and his history, from my point of view the El Greco House and Museum, his paintings in the Cathedral and a couple of synagogues.

At sunrise or sunset, spend half an hour on the viewpoint on the road south of the town.

Beautiful view over the valley, from there the city will appear in all its beauty.

Max

mtravel - 2020-02-18 2:04 PM

Of course in Spain there are many nice towns and sites but I tried to stay quite close to Mike's original itinerary.

For instance, north of Madrid, you will find the huge Monastery El Escorial with its incredible library.

Few chilometers far from here the "Valle del los Caidos", civil war memorial. Until few months ago burial site of the "Caudillo" Francisco Franco.

However, I may confirm the nice Aranjuez royal palace but you don't expect it at Versailles (F), Schoenbrunn (A) or even Caserta (I) levels.

Toledo is a stunning town, don't forget the impressive Alcazar and his history, from my point of view the El Greco House and Museum, his paintings in the Cathedral and a couple of synagogues.

At sunrise or sunset, spend half an hour on the viewpoint on the road south of the town.

Beautiful view over the valley, from there the city will appear in all its beauty.

Max

Good point Max about the Alcazar and the superb, huge El Greco in the side chapel of the cathedral.

I was distracted by the bad weather in Calpe!!

Archived