Rusty sump

Gman

Our 2009 ducato passed it's MOT last week, no advisories, great stuff. Luckily the garage allows me to look under the van during the test, and it was noticed how rusty the sump pan looked, no under trays are fitted. Tester said to see about replacing it, just a hit from a pebble and no oil !! and a big bill for a new engine, I resisted the temptation to poke it with my finger. Had a new sump pan,oil, and filters done today. not cheap, but cheaper than a new engine, should be OK for another ten years now, change the oil and filters every 2 years now. So next time you are under yours have quick look.

Steve.

witzend - 2020-03-03 10:52 PM

Hope you gave the new one a couple of coats of hammerite before fitting it

Garage fitted it, (not as easy as it looks) so no protection from them,

but I will be under the engine compartment before we set out later on,

with my hammerite and brush, and slap plenty on.

Steve.

The 2.3 sump is quite easy to replace but the 3.0 is not because you have to remove the offside driveshaft to get at the sump bolts.

I always gave the new sumps a rub down to get a good key in the dreadful factory paint followed by a couple of layers of acid etch primer and a couple more of 'stone chip' paint. This will protect from most road debris and ensure many years without troubles. These sumps are very thin walled and it does not take much corrosion before they start to weep. In may ways i prefer the old days when vehicles leaked oil and protected the steelwork below!

N

euroserv - 2020-03-10 5:34 PM

The 2.3 sump is quite easy to replace but the 3.0 is not because you have to remove the offside driveshaft to get at the sump bolts.

I always gave the new sumps a rub down to get a good key in the dreadful factory paint followed by a couple of layers of acid etch primer and a couple more of 'stone chip' paint. This will protect from most road debris and ensure many years without troubles. These sumps are very thin walled and it does not take much corrosion before they start to weep. In may ways i prefer the old days when vehicles leaked oil and protected the steelwork below!

N

I think it was more difficult because it would'nt fit on their MOT 4 poster ramp, (too busy) so they tried the 6 ton 2 poster but couldn't get the legs under for the side skirts, so had to lift under the front subframe, and do the job on the floor so to speak. Yep! my drive way still has the oil stains from my older cars, happy days.

Steve

Old cars never had rusty sumps because they were always coated in oil that had leaked from the engine.

So I just smear a bit of oil on the sump pan when I change the oil.

Certainly quicker and probably works better than paint,because it self heals when hit by the flying stone chippings English councils use for their cheap and nasty road repairs.

I have often found rust growing under paint

But never under oil.

John52 - 2020-03-10 9:06 PM

Old cars never had rusty sumps because they were always coated in oil that had leaked from the engine.

So I just smear a bit of oil on the sump pan when I change the oil.

Certainly quicker and probably works better than paint,because it self heals when hit by the flying stone chippings English councils use for their cheap and nasty road repairs.

I have often found rust growing under paint

But never under oil.

My 28 year old Hilux Surf, (Reggie, owned him for 14 years) failed it's MOT this month due to rust in the rear quarters (too close to the body mounts), but there was no rust forward of the rear axel tho', but plenty of oil. Best car I EVER owned. 319,000km on the clock. Sold him for spares, the buyer told me he was not breaking him, but exporting to Gambia !! Old Toyota's never die they just keep going.

Steve.

colin - 2020-03-03 8:37 PM

That's the problem with oil tight engines, had to do one of my Suzi's couple of years back, driving down cart tracks with black thorn seedlings meant the sump was regularly scraped.

Yes, our ex-neighbour's old Land-Rover created an oil slick you could literally see from space. The sump was always well lubricated.

You don't see many magnetic sump plugs these days either. (lol)

Archived