SMEV oven doors

Guest Simon B

Guest Simon B
Is it usual for the door of a Smev oven door to get extremely hot. Our last van had a larger cooker with a big handle so when you opened the door you didn`t touch it. With the Smev the handle is small so you tend to touch your knuckles on the door. Even the handle gets quite warm. Yes you do learn to hold the handle carefully but on the next trip away you always do it again once or twice! If the door getting hot is usual, is it possible to get a larger handle?

Guest Derek Uzzell
SMEV's UK agent is Scan-Terieur Ltd, 30 Metro Centre, Tolpits Lane, Watford WD18 9XG (Tel: 01923 800353 Fax: 01923 220358) How hot the oven handle gets may well depend on which model of SMEV oven you have and, possibly, how well (or not) the appliance has been installed. Scan-Terieur may be able to advise on getting a different handle, provided that you can provide exact details of the oven. Obtaining a replacement grill-burner for my SMEV hob-unit took the best part of a year, during which period I was sent a succession of wrong parts. Eventually I gave up and had the original burner re-welded locally. Most of the blame was due to the Italian factory's hopeless inefficiency. (Just thought you'd like to know that. I've been waiting a long time to slag off SMEV for bu**ering me about!)

Just a thought, if the handle isn't a solid piece of plactic, can you tie or loop a piece of cord around it? You could then pull on the cord to open the oven? Not ideal I admit but at least you would be able to open it without burning your fingers.

Guest Simon B
Mel, the loop around the handle sounds a good idea. I was considering making a shield between the handle and door, but haven`t investigated this yet. Derek, my main question was how hot the door should get - does your door get too hot to touch when the cookers on for 20 minutes or so?

Guest Derek Uzzell
Can't answer that I'm afraid. My SMEV appliance was a hob-grill fitted to a 1997 Herald (now sold), not an oven. We never used the grill (nor the Spinflo oven below) which was why I was more than a little teed off initially when the gas-burner fell apart, and even more incensed when SMEV proved incapable of supplying a replacement burner. Gas-oven manufacturers' installation instructions sometimes specify that ventilation should be provided at the rear of the appliance, but I suspect it often isn't. Is your oven actually a SMEV oven-grill, with the gas-burner in the 'roof' of the cooking enclosure rather than at the bottom-rear? If it is, then a hot door is pretty much inevitable.

Guest Mel B
Simon We had an oven in our 2001 Suntor and it's door got very hot, as did the door in our 1991 Elddis, and the loan Rapido (2004) which we had last year. I think it's pretty much a normal occurence - even our oven at home's door gets quite hot. You could try wearing a pair of gloves (like Thinksulate ones) so that if you do touch the door when grabbing the handle at least you won't burn yourself but remember that normal gloves won't protect you from taking a hot tray etc out of the oven!

Archived