SURVEY. SOLAR PANELS

Clive

2 x 100w rigid/framed. Very nice 5 busbar panels from Germany (pre Brexit).

I check them regularly with a DC clamp meter and they continue to work fine although one panel has always been about 50mA below the other - just normal tolerances in the silicon wafers I presume.

In series through a Votronic MPPT controller.

Own vans, rigid framed glass panels, 100 watts x 3, and 150 watts x2. No failures. No noticeable reduction in power output at 7 years old.

I also advise and install on vans and sailboats. All flexible panels have failed within a few years either completely or with much reduced output. No glass framed failure of the panels.

On a related subject its important to use/install quality MPPT solar controllers to capture maximum power from the panels and also correctly charge the batteries.

Mike

3 X Glass panels, of which 2 are now 23 years old Saturn (very expensive at the time) Technology, and 1 of Far East origin 5 years old.

Working correctly, the 23 year old panels being nearly quarter of a century old presumably have reduced performance but were guaranteed to retain minimum of 90% of original output. The cheap Chinese? panel seems much the same output as new, or at least no discernible decline.

No panel failures.

Clive - 2022-06-22 1:48 PM

1 Do you have glass or flexible panels?

2 Have you checked that they are working correctly recently?

3 Have you had a panel failure?

1. Glass (rigid)

2. Not required. Although we have the means to monitor their output why bother? We’re seldom on EHU so if the hab batteries are showing 100% charge by midday in November they’re doing their job.

3. Nope.

BruceM - 2022-06-23 10:18 AM

Clive - 2022-06-22 1:48 PM

1 Do you have glass or flexible panels?

2 Have you checked that they are working correctly recently?

3 Have you had a panel failure?

1. Glass (rigid)

2. Not required. Although we have the means to monitor their output why bother? We’re seldom on EHU so if the hab batteries are showing 100% charge by midday in November they’re doing their job.

3. Nope.

Same as above - except we usually have EHU when away for 4 months, therefore for 8 months we don't. Have no idea how to measure the output other than on the van control panel - the panel is the same age as the van - 2005 vintage.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Glass 2x100 watts on the motorhome put on in 2007. Still working doing 19.5v each. On the campervan poptop 2x100 watt semi flex. Lasted 5-6 years. Both died together so removed and replaced with the same. Reason, it’s a pop top. Height is critical and I have to lift a heavy roof and struts need to hold it up. Grass would be to heavy and the wind noise that close to your head needs consideration. Apparently the new ones are guaranteed for 25 years which I don’t really believe. We will see. ??

One 90watt framed panel, 13years old, recently fitted MTTP controller, much better than original PWD, lead acid battery will change eventually to an AGM one. Saving up to fill fuel tank with £120 of diesel 8-)

2 of my panels are over 20 years old, as far as I can tell they are presently outputting much as they did originally. They were cutting edge and pricey at the time. So yes I'd believe a 25 year guarantee on a branded product.

Archived