Safari room anyone?

Albertslad

Trial run before first trip to France in 3 years.

At York at the moment and slight dilemma. I’ve been looking for an awning (blowup ideally) but am looking again at Fiamma Safariroom, despite cost. I have a F65s that does a third of the job but not all.

Our modus operandi is changing, from making and breaking camp almost every day, to a more relaxed style of 3, maybe more days in one spot.

Don’t say caravan!

It was windy here last night, and I’m wondering how relaxed our nights sleep would have been with either option.

Our PVC could do with a bit more space to spread out if staying longer.

Anybody use a Safari-Room?

Regards

Yes we purchased one for or new van six years ago; after our old van had a Fiamma Zip Safari room which we sold. (We only used it twice, but it was good).

The new Safari room has been used three times in six years? Apart from Covid, when the wind gets up in the night you lay awake thinking what's going on outside; and a good sleep is lost. I even took it down when the wind was way too much. I would suggest that if you go ahead, you buy the horizontal poles that fix half way up the sides, this would give the support to stop the sides flapping.

One major point, you must blank off the space between the floor of the van and the ground to stop the wind coming in under the van. This makes an massive difference.

One good thing is we carry the centre support pole and the two side metal supports from the van to the front of the awning. When these are fixed in place the fabric of the awning doesn't flap in the wind; and a good nights sleep is had!!

Q: Would I buy again?

A: Probably not. But if I was to stay on site for a period of time and the wind was not too strong, then the answer would be Yes.

A different perspective maybe?

When we had an A/S Warwick XL panel van we too found it a little cramped inside especially when it was warm - or wet.

Fearful of the space needed to stow awning sides, poles, etc, especially when wet, especially in a not too big van and wary of the time and effort sometimes needed to put it up and take it down, especially when windy, or wet, we made do with a windbreak which was adequate if not a complete solution.

We later changed to an A/S Executive, very little larger footprint, same fuel bills, but so much more space inside and probably would have made a safari room less tiresome, but by that time we had accepted the windbreak idea as good enough for our needs.

Just a thought!!

ChasB - 2022-08-03 8:25 PM

Q: Would I buy again?

A: Probably not. But if I was to stay on site for a period of time and the wind was not too strong, then the answer would be Yes.

You raise some interesting issues, and I’m hovering, it seems as though there are a lot of extras to buy to justify the original decision.

Also, I’m surprised there aren’t any used ones at a reasonable, i.e. max 50% available on eBay.

Thanks, and regards

Tracker - 2022-08-03 9:20 PM

A different perspective maybe?

Fearful of the space needed to stow awning sides, poles, etc, especially when wet, especially in a not too big van and wary of the time and effort sometimes needed to put it up and take it down, especially when windy, or wet, we made do with a windbreak which was adequate if not a complete solution.

I’m wondering if almost any circumstances where it’s very windy render an awning of any description a liability.

I’d hate to feel that I’d got to take it down or risk losing it.

In Croatia some years ago I ended up getting out of bed at about 2am to wind our awning in in pouring rain.

I’d not do the same with a full blown awning( excuse pun)

Regards

Albertslad - 2022-08-03 10:13 PM

*I’m wondering if almost any circumstances where it’s very windy render an awning of any description a liability.

I’d hate to feel that I’d got to take it down or risk losing it.

In Croatia some years ago I ended up getting out of bed at about 2am to wind our awning in in pouring rain.

I’d not do the same with a full blown awning( excuse pun)

Regards

Mornin' all..

*(to bit in bold) - To a degree yes, and even if not a major "liabilty" , then at the very least they can/will be an added myther ....

We've never had Safari room panels, so can't comment on them.

I have always thought of the windout canopies that we've had as something akin to an umbrella or parasol- Something to be deployed when needed and then put away when you don't.

We would sometimes set out a windbreak(s) along the windout's "perimeter" and I have in the past just clipped up the likes of a lightweight "throw" to help with shade.. but nothing that couldn't be easily/quickly put away.

If you do need/want the space to put "stuff" when onsite, then maybe just consider incorporating an easy to erect utility tent/"dayroom" ?

(on the whole, I was disappointed when we had our first windout fitted.. I was expecting them to be studier and far less creaky! )

Edit: Forgot to mention these- https://www.windblockers.net/ - I recall the panels used to be talked-up on here a lot some years back, as a lightweight option to full safari rooms? (no idea what they are like to put up though.. still looks too much faff for my liking :-D )

When it comes to putting up awnings and the like I am very lazy – thinking that they are not worth the hassle of erecting for just a few days. Several years ago we bought a second hand ‘van and it came with a Safari Room. After erecting it once we gave it to friends.

However, we then bought the Lilipad wind blockers, they are so easy and quick to erect and take down that I’m prepared to put them up even for just a couple of days.

They are inexpensive and lightweight when compared to a full-blown awning and take up very little space.

There are two main disadvantages. The wind-out awning has to be employed and in high winds this can be problematic. Secondly ours are not waterproof, although I believe there is now a waterproof option.

On balance we find them to be a good compromise between nothing and a conventional awning/safari room.

We would definitely not buy a Safari Room.

Cattwg :-D

To Pepe and Catweg; thanks; I think the Safari option is dead in the wind.

A drive away awning may be the way I’ll go.

The Fiamma65 is not something I would buy or specify on my second van. A lot of money for what amounts to a rail to which a proper awning can be attached. It’s also heavy.

As always with a panelvan, the sliding door is the major consideration. The configuration and dimensions of the “tunnel” being critical.

I have no desire to wipe a new awning off for the sake af a few centimetres tunnel width and depth.

The search goes on.

Regards

I had forgotten, that some years back we did occasionally try/use an old lightweight, very simple to erect,(one pole) caravan porch awning attached to the groove/body of our windouts.

It wasn't ideal on the Transit conversion (2003 Duetto) we had, as the rail height was a bit low and as mentioned you needed to be mindful of the *sliding door travel but it wasn't a major issue (*if you did want the door fully open, we just eased back the fabric to let it pass). It worked okay-ish on the coachbuilt that followed it but we just used it for folding chairs, wet coats & boots etc

So maybe another (cheap enough) option to look at..?

Albertslad - 2022-08-04 10:11 AM

The Fiamma65 is not something I would buy or specify on my second van. A lot of money for what amounts to a rail to which a proper awning can be attached. It’s also heavy.

Although I do agree (and I would favour a tidy, one-piece awning rail over a windout) the problem is the "industry standard" for attaching awning rails seem s to involve a shed load of holes being drilled into th skin of the van...

At least if a a windout is fitted it gives us further options to attach/anchor something..?

On a previous CB I attached an awning rail (via an ali' angle)to the undeside of our Fiamma awning body..

(but I am assume your awning would be above the roof edge?)

39740500_Awningrail.jpg.7116858971bc091433e458efa70902e7.jpg

We have a cassette awning on the side of the van, but are similarly reluctant to use it if it is windy in case it gets damaged so have a drive away awning we can link to the van if we want to, or erect free standing adjacent to the van, and a windbreak to sort of link the two into a private area. It saves lying awake at night worrying.....!

Whatever you get you'll need the space to carry it in the 'van, and you may have to cope with a vary wet awning or whatever if you need to stow it when wet.

But if you're happy with those aspects, why not loot also at gazebos? Many come with detachable walls that can be used or left aside as the weather/mood takes you. The space within can be at least equal to an awning, and there is no need to faff around trying to attach a bridging piece to link it to an awning rail of some sort. Well guyed down they seem to be as stable as any awning.

The attachment of awning to van works fine when you arrive and set up the awning to suit the position of the van. The problem seems to arise when you move the van, and then try to re-establish the link to the awning rail. I have seen folk extend a wind-out awning to shelter the gap between gazebo and van, and it looked as though it worked well, with no need for precision positioning! :-) It also allows you to wind in the wind-out when windy, to eliminate the inevitable rattles as it flaps around.

When we had a drive away awning I used tent pegs to enable me to park exactly. One peg almost touching and in the centre of each wheel. With help from my wife I could park literally within an inch of the previous position.

Cattwg :-D

Archived