Saggy Behind

Guest Johnnyt

Guest Johnnyt
I have a problem with a saggy behind. Not me personally but my 1989 Autotrail Cherokee on a mercedes 208 chassis. I have owned the van for 2 years and the previous owners had a motor cycle rack fitted, which has now been removed. I have noticed that the rear seems lower than normal and while traveling there is alot of sway. I have check the suspension and there seems to be spring assistors which consist of 2 rubber donuts fitted between the body and the rear axle, however if I jack up the back with the aid of a trolley jack there seems to be space for a 3rd donut. Does anyone else have similar problems and if so how where they overcome. Has anyone had any experience of the supplementary suspension systems such as Mad or Airride advertised in MMM.

Guest David Powell
Hi Johnny...SEARCH :- Air ride, there is some info there. Three of my mates have Air Ride on the back axle, one pumps it up when towing, another when he carries his motor bike, and the other had it put on to re-adjust the suspension because he fitted a huge back box which in my opinion was too heavy, but it did level the 'van. This is second hand information, I expect you will soon get some first hand info: from owners who have it. I will be interested in the replies as my back end saggs a bit. Probably because the old leaf springs are getting tired.

Guest Tom
A visit to Midland Springs for a new set of leaves would be a simpler and more cost effective solution!

Guest Derek Uzzell
The presence of "rubber donuts" on your Auto-Trail suggests you might already have an Airide-type spring-assistance arrangement. Are you sure these things haven't got inflation-valves on them?

Guest Johnnyt
Thanks for the help. I thought it may have been the remains of an old air ride system but there are no signs of inflation valves on them, they look more like bump stops. I will have another look at the springs as will all the weight that it may have been carrying they may have gone out of shape. Thanks for the infor at least i have something to go on.

Guest Laurie
I would be interested in any updates on this. I too have an Autotrail on a 208 chassis and would like to attach a towing bracket/scooter rack but have shied off so far as the GVW is getting close to the 2.8t max without it. It would be a pity if I ended up overloading the springs and in the same boat as Johnnyt

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nick dean
I fitted air suspension some years ago and boy what a difference especially when loaded up with motorcycle, rack an roll , and hope safety bar etc. but do shop around as prices varied by £75 sold as air suspension but were exactly the same as air rides from makers / suppliers in ireland . my guess is they manufactured for air ride???

Guest JohnnyT
Ok the up date of the problem so far, is that I contacted Mad Suspension who quoted me £370.00 for spring assisters, I told them to proceed. With 3 weeks to go before a french trip I thought that this would be sufficient time to supply and fit them. However I had a phone call from Mad to be told that the springs had not arrived in their batch order from Holland. Very sorry they said nothing they could do. I then contacted Air ride suspension who although where very helpful and where prepared to fit the springs at the Kent show the cost would be £430.00 plus another £30.00 for fitting. No wonder they where helpful. By chance I can across a very help full firm, Dronsfield Mercedes Limited who supplied second hand Mercedes parts. They suggested I change the old 3 leaf springs for 308 four leaf springs. The total cost being £120.00 including next day delivery. Sure enough the springs arrived and after an afternon work and the springs where on and man what a difference it feels like a completely different vehicle. I have just come back from travelling 1000 miles in france without a problem. From this experince I am not that impressed with the companies that supply motorhomes accessories they are either too quick to take the order without any concern for delivery dates or just too expensive. Hopefully this may change with my next problem.

Archived