Salt in Fresh Water tank?

Clementine

I believe you own a Trigano Tribute and, hence, the manual is likely to be an English-language translation from the Italian original and may have some peculiar/inaccurate wording.

I've never heard it suggested that one should put salt in a motorhome's fresh-water tank (especially a kilo of the stuff), though I guess adding a large quantity of salt MIGHT help to (say) kill bacteria in a badly contaminated tank. But, basically, unless there is a very persuasive explanation in your motorhome's manual as to why you should add salt, DO NOT DO IT.

It used to be common practice to add a salt-type sterilant (eg. "Milton") to the contents of a motorhome/caravan fresh-water tank, but the quantity involved was always very very small. Nowadays few people do this as there's the potential that (like adding common-or-garden salt) the sterilant might corrode water heaters.

There's nothing to stop you drinking water (boiled or otherwise) stored in your motorhome's fresh-water tank provided that you are happy that the water is 'clean'. Otherwise, use bottled water for cooking/drinking and water from the tank for other purposes.

You might want to look at the Tribby forum that's dedicated to Tribute motorhomes as, if you want information/advice on matters specific to your motorhome (eg. the handbook "salt" reference), that's possibly your best bet for getting it.

http://www.tribby.co.uk/

There was a thread back in August regarding the drinking of water and although Derek is correct in his statement that if you are sure the water is 'clean' then it is safe to drink. However, it's not just the water you are putting in. When you empty the tank, not all of the water drains out so you have an amount that is left standing which will contaminate the water you put in next time. Likewise you may have water laying in the pipes for a while which also could introduce bacteria.

We always use bottled water or biol the water as I think it would be a brave person who could categorically say that the water is 'clean'

Salt in the tank is a new one on me also. I have had to drink water treated in various ways but never with salt.

I also have to disagree with Mark above. Your tap water is Chlorinated and will kill off most common bacteria. If there are a few dregs of old water, the Chlorine will kill anything in it. Most bacteria thrive under certain conditions. When water is in a closed system in darkness, this inhibits bacteria.

We drink water from our tank, most of it boiled for tea or coffee but not all. It is totally impossible to avoid bacteria. It is people who go to great lengths who suffer most as you need a few bacteria for your body to provide a healthy immune system.

If you drain off your fresh water prior to the trip home, leave the drains open and every last drop should be shaken out.

Salt !! that's a new one on me ! You use dishwasher salt to soften hard water but having to drink it wouldn't be very nice. Just use some sterilizer from a camping shop, Towsure do a good one :

http://www.towsure.com/search/Puriclean

It leaves no nasty aftertaste and won't damage metal elements(heater/kettle) or taps etc., as chlorine based products WILL.

For drinking water we have a 'Naturepure' filter and tap, filters are not cheap but we find it easier than lugging water bottles about.

http://www.purewateronline.co.uk/vmchk/Nature-Pure/View-all-products.html

Ray

747 - 2011-10-07 1:29 PM

...If you drain off your fresh water prior to the trip home, leave the drains open and every last drop should be shaken out.

Even if you do this, some water will inevitably remain in the tank where (presumably) it will provide a potential breeding-ground for bugs. Can't say, though, that it worries me much.

Some earlier water 'cleanliness' stuff on

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25063&posts=12

My Bungalow has a cold water tank in the Attic [ old hat I know ] this tank feeds the hot water system and also the cold water taps in the Bathrooms, we use the cold taps in the Bathrooms for Teeth cleaning so some of this water would be ingested, little different to the water tank in your van, we seldom drain the vans tank, just drop a couple of Asdas own sterilising tablets [ very cheap ] in the tank, no problems. we use five litre plastic water bottles for drinking water and have never had problems.

We boil water from tank for hot drinks and use water from the tank for washing etc but I always take a large container of water from my tap at home to drink cold or buy bottled water to drink.

Boiling water should kill most bacteria and you will have to be unlucky to catch a bug that can withstand boiling point. Salt will corrode any metalic elements in your fresh water system. I personaly would not put salt into a fresh water tank.

Bill

Archived