Sanitising water systems

bigjohnthecat

Sanitising water systems  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes.

Practice varies as do products used. It depends on how strong is your constitution, where you source the water, and whether you drink it without boiling.

As a guide, I fill the tank with tap water. Add a cleanser/steriliser. Some people like me use Puriclean, some people use Milton [use it only in very diluted form as it can damage stainless steel if too strong], some use a form of acetic acid. I'm sure there are other products you can use.

Draw some of the water through the taps and then close the taps. This will ensure you clean the pipes up to the taps. Allow time for the solution to work. Then drain. Flush the tank with fresh water ensuring you run some water through the tap. If you don't flush, the water will have a taint at first.

I empty my water tank after every trip into my water butt. I have a 4 day 'use by date' for our drinking water when touring. I clean the system every year, usually at the start of Spring and any other time if I think the water is tainted.

bigjohnthecat - 2019-02-10 9:48 AM

ok cheers

but don’t you put a cleaner through once a year?

I do think about it occasionally and have probably added something perhaps 3 or 4 times over the last 60 years!

Have certainly never bought natural (?) bottled water and we do use the onboard water the same as we do at home. ;-)

bigjohnthecat - 2019-02-10 8:24 AM

Hi Can I carry out the above on a Nexxo sovereign 2015 if so what do’s it involve and what materials do I need please?

Thanks John

Look for a product called "Fresh Water Tank Cleaner". It is made by Elsan, and is specifically designed for cleaning boat/motorhome fresh water tanks. It is liquid, so readily absorbed into the system, and chlorine free, so no hazard to stainless steel components.

To preserve the water in fresh, drinkable, condition we use another Elsan product: Elsil. This contains colloidal silver and again is chlorine free. Unfortunately neither is widely stocked bu caravan/motorhome dealers so if your nearest doesn't have them both are available from the web. Have used both over a number of years, and have had no problems with odd smell or taints from tank or water.

Clear instructions with both products.

I also use Puriclean, available at Halfords in 100g size which will clean up to a 90 litre tank. Cheaper to buy the 400g size if you have a camping shop nearby.

Best to start with a fully drained system. Completely fill the fresh water tank. Pour in the correct amount of Puriclean and give the water a stir to dissolve the contents. If you can't get access to the top of the tank, best to dissolve the Puriclean in a watering can and add that to the tank first before topping up the tank with a hose.

Then, as described previously, pump the water through to the boiler making sure the dump valve is closed. Then, open each tap at a time until water appears. Leave the water in the system for the recommended contact time, probably 12 to 24 hours.

As others have mentioned, if you remember to drain down fully after each trip, it's probably not necessary to clean the system on a regular basis. I made the mistake of leaving water in the system between my Spring and Autumn trips....never again, lesson learned 8-)

John,

As you have a van that's been used by others you need to start afresh and use one of the cleaners as suggested, but once (or twice) you've done that and proved it OK then do as many others do which is nothing!

Except to only carry enough water for the length of travel then when completed and back at base empty the remainder and leave all taps and vents fully open. Nothing beats nature.

Remember in a military situation its criminal to leave drinking waterways closed

John,

Colloidal Silver has been mentioned, as a life long metal worker I would never use it. It may have an attractive name but I suggest you read about it first, it may be OK in small quantities well diluted but on a regular basis over many years then the choice is yours.

Further to the 'Sanitising Water Systems' - Very shortly after our 1st foray into our hobby (back in 1998) we quickly found an answer to having perfect tasting cups of tea (THE PRIORITY) after seeing a demo of the American 'Nature Pure' water filter system (Q " as fitted to all major airlines of the world") - 'Old timers' will possibly remember the demo's involving someone being asked to visit the nearest stream / ditch or similar water source with a container that was (with a degree of incredulity) subsequently filtered through the 'Nature Pure' system with the filtered water offered to the watching ! - I WAS ONE OF THE TASTERS WHO LATER PURCHASED AND FITTED THE SYSTEM INTO OUR (then) Swift Royale Ensign 610 SE. The system was perfect in that "it did was it said on the tin", so much so that at our 2009 replacement Bessacarr E695 purchase, a new Nature Pure kit was the first (of many mods) to Bessie ! At a cost of approx £170.00 in 2009 in may appear expensive, but its never failed to produce tasty drinking water & perfect cuppa's both economical and convenient long term ! Haven't seen them advertised recently but for us a perfect solution without the regular 'flushing out' problem required to maintain safe water ?

Dave Adams

I've been drinking the world's water for nigh on 90 years and it appears I should now be getting rather concerned about it, yet somehow I've manage to (don't ask me) choose all the correct ditches and ponds, and avoiding those flavored with liver fluke.

Archived