Santander to Valencia

starvin marvin

it's a long way to do in 1 day! Maybe make for Madrid, then there is a fast (empty) motorway straight down

We did Aranjuez Sth of Madrid on and empty Mway, but that was quiet a trek. Probably could do it, if you have 2 drivers

PJay

We've been down that route a couple of times albeit from Bilbao.

AP68 to Zaragoza (toll)

A23 to Valencia (toll free) motorway like.

If you feel you need a night stop, there's the Camping Ciudad De Zaragoza at Zaragoza (not cheap), and there is a service station with dump stations and allows overnighting about 90 minutes south of Zaragoza. I understand there is an Aire at Teruel too.

As has been said it's a long way and may take around 9 hours.

HTH

bristol170kj - 2018-11-01 10:13 AM

We've been down that route a couple of times albeit from Bilbao.

AP68 to Zaragoza (toll)

A23 to Valencia (toll free) motorway like.

If you feel you need a night stop, there's the Camping Ciudad De Zaragoza at Zaragoza (not cheap), and there is a service station with dump stations and allows overnighting about 90 minutes south of Zaragoza. I understand there is an Aire at Teruel too.

As has been said it's a long way and may take around 9 hours.

HTH

Thanks, the fastest route seems to be A8 to Bilbao, then as you say A68 towards Zaragoza, when we’re on that road we cut off around Mallen towards Carinena (truckers route to avoid Zaragoza) and A23 to Sagunt and the coast.

There is an ACSI site near Tarazona and another at Navajas or the aire at Segorbe. Used them all, plus others sites or free camps over the years. First time not driving through France!

I no longer have the book of Aires but I do seem to recall that whilst not plentiful there are a few along the way with the obvious advantage that you can arrive any time any day according to how far you get before you have had enough and just park up with no formalities.

Tracker - 2018-11-01 11:50 AM

I no longer have the book of Aires but I do seem to recall that whilst not plentiful there are a few along the way with the obvious advantage that you can arrive any time any day according to how far you get before you have had enough and just park up with no formalities.

What I need to decide when we get off the ferry is, head for Bilbao (fast) or to Burgos (slower). Will depend on the crossing conditions, did we get much sleep! and the weather/road conditions. It certainly looks much slower to Burgos then Soria, Calatayud and the A23. Probably wouldn’t get past Calatayud in a day.

Tracker - 2018-11-01 12:48 PM

The Bay of Biscay can be pretty lumpy and my inclination, depending what time you arrive and how you feel, might be to stop not far from the port and get a good night's kip then start early and knock off the lot in one bash!

We get off the ferry at 8.00am, so with a good nights kip we should be ok for a good run at it.

Tracker - 2018-11-01 12:48 PM

The Bay of Biscay can be pretty lumpy and my inclination, depending what time you arrive and how you feel, might be to stop not far from the port and get a good night's kip then start early and knock off the lot in one bash!

We get off the ferry at 8.00am, so with a good nights kip we should be ok for a good run at it.

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2018-11-01 9:33 AM

Does anyone have a preferred/recommended route from Santander to the Costa Blanca area? Ideally I would like to drive it in one day, so fast good roads preferred.

Many thanks

I did Biarritz to Camping Kiko on our first trip to Spain in 2010......It took 10 hours 8-) .........

But Horace and I were a lot younger then :D .........

Now we stop at the free aires at Cascante and Segorba on the way across.......as I got fed up paying threw the nose for a rubbish campsite at Zaragosa *-) ..........

ColinM50 - 2018-11-01 1:41 PM

Not done it but Google maps says 7 hours and 690kms, so 420 miles, via zaragoza. With 2 drivers should be doable in one hit.

That’s sounds about right, less if you miss out Zaragoza. Should be able to do 400 miles in 7 hours. Usually can do 200 miles on fast roads in 3 ish hours.

Brian Kirby - 2018-11-01 5:23 PM

Autoroute says 440 miles via Logrono and Zaragoza and, using motorhome speeds, about 7 hours 40 minutes driving time. Allowing for meal and comfort breaks, and for possible hold-ups, I think two days would be preferable.

Thanks, but preferable to whom? I want to do it in a day, but I’ll take account of the weather and road conditions, promise.

I certainly won’t go to Zaragoza, but cut the corner off to Carinena and the A23. This reduces the miles a bit and gives a welcome change to the dual carriageway, and a chance to grab a sarnie and coffee.

Brian Kirby - 2018-11-01 5:23 PM

I think two days would be preferable.

It might for you Brian but different people have different perspectives on what is enough miles for a day and that often relates as much to time sat behind the wheel and type of roads and traffic density than miles covered.

I often found 400+ miles quite comfortable, and could have done more if needed, but other times 200 could be quite sufficient without becoming over tired depending on health and sustained levels of wakefulness.

These days 250 in a car is quite enough whereas when younger 600+ was not unknown!

Another factor in all long hauls is what happens at the end of the journey - if you are heading for a known destination with no time restrictions you can arrive tired and late and still be certain of a good night's kip, but if you have to be at a certain place by a certain time or if your precise destination is as yet unknown then you may have to adjust your timing to suit.

As any experienced nomad will know - it ain't hard to make plans but it can be hard to make 'em work sometimes so having a backup contingency plan never does any harm!

Archived