Sardinia

yoko8pups

We did a slow transit south to north in 2016, entering via Cagliari (which is worth at least a visit) and exiting at Santa Teresa Gallura.

Tips so much depend on what interests you. Inland is quite mountainous, but not exclusively so. Spectacular coats and beaches (we went mostly up the west coast. I got the places of interest for us from a Rough Guide to Italy and a very old Michelin green guide to Italy. If I were going back I would first get a Rough guide to Sardinia and then pick out what I found interesting and make a trip around them.

Places we visited were Nora (Phoenician/Roman), Su Nuraxi (1500BC settlement, amazingly preserved), Tharros (Phoenician), Bosa (attractive small seaside town and port), and Alghero (ditto), but as I said we were transiting.

We spent 3 weeks there in June 2015. Landed in Olbia, hired a car and travelled around the coast back to Olbia in an anti clockwise direction. We also did day trips into the interior of the island from a couple of bases on our journey. We found Sardinia a very interesting island to visit. Plenty of variety in things to do & see. There are grottos on the east coast that are interesting along with some spectacular sights all around the coast. We found the food excellent (we love Italian food) and this trip was our introduction to the white wine variety Vermentino that find by itself was worth the visit. Interestingly AU now also grows very good Vermentino. Sorry I cannot assist with campsites etc but the roads were good. Cheers, 

Archived