Sat Nav Renewal

23addy46

Hi All:-

Prior to consideration of purchase - does anyone out there have experience or advise re the 'Latest' Avtex Tourer Two (Caravan & Motorhome Club) Edition sat nav ?

Reason - cynicism of Sat Nav's starting out with the complete waste if time Blau Punkt 'Car Nat Nav' Swift supplied from new as standard spec on our new Aug 2009 purchase E695 Bessacarr - followed by its replacement problems, a 'Snooper Ventura Pro S6450 Caravan Club Edition' that has proved less than accurate on to many occasions, every 'Free Upgrade' presented problems requiring long online & tel. interaction with 'Tech Support' to correct..

Whilst I realise many MH are now fitted with Sat Nav's suitable for purpose (I hope), and that as such, this request may prove to be less 'information responsive' than our usual standard, all views will, as always be fully appreciated...

Many Thanks,

Dave Adams

I’ve been using for sometime Tom Tom

At present I’m using the premium x

Prior to this one we used the tot Tom camper. Brilliant.

But we left it in my place in Spain and while the estate agent was showing someone around it disappeared!!

I’ve used inbuilt ones and never 100% happy, but I’m over the moon with Tom Tom.

Discounts are available direct.

Den

I bought the Avtex Tourer Two when it first came out in June of 2019. It's very good :-D

The reasons for buying were:

a) The Tom Tom sat nav factory fitted to my 2018 Adria is IMO worse than rubbish! Poor screen colours, difficult and costly to update and so on. Although I've had standalone Tom Toms previously the built in one is....pants.

b) Have had two Snooper sat navs over the last few years but found that they were increasingly poor with very slow downloads and endless connectivity problems for the traffic management system. Basically the technology used in the S6000 unit is well out of date.

So I bought the Avtex/Garmin unit using the C&MC discount (Prima Leisure). The main reason was that this unit uses the latest real time Google Maps and Traffic situation plus the Garmin updating system is very reliable and fast (using Garmin Express). Even the email and text notifications feature works well - which it doesn't on my Mitsubishi Outlander!

Also very impressed with the Avtex Customer Services. The unit failed to update correctly in December and phone help failed to sort out the problem. So, Avtex arranged for the defective unit to be collected by courier, checked it on receipt and sent me a brand new, fully updated unit within three days - BRILLIANT service. What more can I say.

The unit worked well all the way to southern Spain and back, pinpointed the campsites accurately (even in southern Madrid) and gave me good traffic advice and options throughout the journey.

So I'm well impressed and would thoroughly recommend this unit, but of course you do need a suitable smartphone with google maps loaded, not really a problem nowadays.

Buy one now!

Have you thought of a combined satnav and dashcam. Like many we were not happy with the AT built in satnav which required a subscription for updating. Wanted a dashcam for safety reasons, so thought that a combined system would be best. Purchased a Ventura Snooper SC5900DVR and have been delighted with both aspects of it and has free updates for life. May be worth considering

Hi good morning and thanks to all replies..

re Matrix Meander's answer,

Thank you Ian for your detailed reply, sounds an ideal purchase for us:- eg:- good Campsite info & guidance extending through Great Britain and into Europe. Something the Snooper never quite achieved, especially so following its 'recommended up grade'.

However (as questioned by John), out of choice we don't own 'smart phones', is this a necessary precursor for the 'Tourer Two' Sat Nav to be operational ?

Dave Adams

The Avtex Tourer Two is described here

https://www.capitaloutdoors.co.uk/products/avtex-tourer-two?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk52miPTE6QIVTOztCh0I3gDTEAAYASAAEgLUQPD_BwE

and includes the following information

Smartphone & Voice Functionality

Bluetooth Hands-Free

Avtex Tourer Two can be paired with your smartphone to make and receive calls safely and legally while driving.

Voice Command

With Avtex Tourer Two you can find and plot destinations, add stops to your route and make and take calls completely hands-free. Simply say "voice command" and command your navigator to find you somewhere to stop for a coffee, for fuel or call a contact in your address book.

Garmin Drive App

Access additional information via your smartphone using the Garmin Drive App and be supplied with real-time services including weather updates, live safety cameras, live traffic cameras (where available) and more. Traffic updates can also be retrieved live via the Garmin Drive App.

(The Avtex device is a derivative of Garmin’s Camper 780 MT-D with Caravan & Motorhome Club data added.)

If buyer of an Avrex Tourer Two sat-nav had no interest in the ‘smartphone features’ mentioned above, the device would still operate perfectly well without the buyer having a smartphone.

The bigger the sat-nav screen the better - so a 7” screen is preferable to a smaller one - but if ‘camping’ and ‘vehicle-related’ features are not high priority, there are large-screen sat-navs available that are significantly less expensive.

Thanks for the question about the need for a smartphone to link with the Avtex/Garmin sat nav.

When linked by bluetooth, the phone ensures that your sat nav has real time traffic information , mobile "safety" cameras, weather and it also displays your emails, texts on the screen. The traffic feature is the main reason I bought it after suffering many connection black holes on the snooper, especially on the M25 and A303. Not the locations you want to not know what is ahead of you! The software gives you voice prompts asking if you want to avoid the traffic delay ahead, you can say "no" and stay on your original route of course. The traffic situation is updated once a minute and its light years better than snooper.

So Garmin have fully integrated the power of Android Auto/Google maps with other voice commands now commonplace on mobile phones and Sky TV remotes etc.

You can of course just use Google maps but that doesn't have the facility to warn you about low bridges, narrow lanes etc.

Horses for courses as usual.

I would also recommend mounting the sat nav on the Ducato dashboard air vent using a Brodit proclaim system, far better than the rubber suction device and closer to hand and eye.

Thanks Derek you beat me to describing the voice features

:-D

Good morning, and many thanks to both Derek & Ian for their detailed technical replies, that in ignorance & truth, I understood little of as a car/motorcycle mechanic from 50's to late 70's - (no computers those days !). Hence the choice of 'None Smart Phones'... But, I have saved the info for possible future reference ! But joking aside, the positive comments give the impression of a far superior Sat Nav than the Snooper, so will be giving serious consideration to purchase soon..

Again, Thank You to all replies.

Dave Adams

23addy46 - 2020-05-22 10:15 AM

Good morning, and many thanks to both Derek & Ian for their detailed technical replies, that in ignorance & truth, I understood little of as a car/motorcycle mechanic from 50's to late 70's - (no computers those days !). Hence the choice of 'None Smart Phones'... But, I have saved the info for possible future reference ! But joking aside, the positive comments give the impression of a far superior Sat Nav than the Snooper, so will be giving serious consideration to purchase soon..

Again, Thank You to all replies.

Dave Adams

Dave: I have to say that in the year that I've owned the Garmin unit it has never failed to give me real time traffic alerts and road closures etc. This was something that the Snooper was very bad at as mentioned above.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Snooper re-engineering all their products very soon to link with smartphone as the Google mapping and traffic alerts is free of charge. This is the route that several car manufacturers have gone down as it saves them serious money in maintaining their own software and mapping.

BTW: You can check the Brodit Proclips here: https://www.brodit.co.uk/

Hi Ian, Thanks again - When this virus problem is over, think wife and I shall have to find a 'Smart Phone' training course in an attempt bring us up into the 20th century (don't think will ever reach the 21st one) ? !!

Re those brackets, looked, and they appear well made for the job, but in my case I simply altered the original Swift fitted bracket carrying the 'BlauPunkt Car Sat Nav', this crudely bolted to inside the 'oddments space' (above radio) on the X250 !

Reference to built in car sat navs & car info entertainment systems, my wife has to ask our grandsons to re set the pre set radio stations for her, has never used the sat nav yet alone attempted voice instructions to it !

As for me, my every day vehicle electronics being, 'old rattler', my 305000 mile, 2003 Citroen Berlingo 1,9 d with its still working & well used cassette player. Its so difficult to change !!!!

Take care.

Dave Adams

I have a TomTom Go 6000 which I am not totally happy with. It takes a long time to boot up (sometimes infuriatingly repeating the process a couple of times) and has become increasingly difficult to update via USB. Once it starts, however, I don't really have any problems. But, of course, it knows nothing about low bridges and so on.

The Avtex Tourer Two Caravan and Motorhome Club Edition Sat Nav looks interesting, so I have some questions, if anyone is currently using it.

1. How long does it take to boot up (please be honest!)?

2. If not paired with a smartphone, does it still offer traffic alerts and alternative route suggestions?

3. Is it possible to add POIs (and how easily is this done)?

On the last point, the TomTom does this well but does have a limit on the (.ov2) file size For example Archie's Europe is too large at over 2Mb and has to be split up. I know the Avtex unit comes with pre-loaded POIs, but I would definitely want to load my own stuff.

Incidentally TomTom support is abysmal to the point of non-existence, so I know from experience with my Avtex TV just how helpful that company is.

whatsupdoc - 2020-05-24 5:14 PM

I have a TomTom Go 6000 which I am not totally happy with. It takes a long time to boot up (sometimes infuriatingly repeating the process a couple of times) and has become increasingly difficult to update via USB. Once it starts, however, I don't really have any problems. But, of course, it knows nothing about low bridges and so on.

The Avtex Tourer Two Caravan and Motorhome Club Edition Sat Nav looks interesting, so I have some questions, if anyone is currently using it.

1. How long does it take to boot up (please be honest!)?

2. If not paired with a smartphone, does it still offer traffic alerts and alternative route suggestions?

3. Is it possible to add POIs (and how easily is this done)?

On the last point, the TomTom does this well but does have a limit on the (.ov2) file size For example Archie's Europe is too large at over 2Mb and has to be split up. I know the Avtex unit comes with pre-loaded POIs, but I would definitely want to load my own stuff.

Incidentally TomTom support is abysmal to the point of non-existence, so I know from experience with my Avtex TV just how helpful that company is.

Hello Dave.

In answer to your questions:

1. Just timed the boot up of my Tourer 2 at 27 seconds.

2. If not paired then you will not get the traffic alerts nor the alternative route suggestions as they are both linked to the live traffic/map situation provided by google.

3. No you cannot add your own POIs but to be honest there is such a wide range of POIs (ACSI, Campercontact, CMC (all) sites, Trip Advisor, Trailers Park, Fuel Prices and so on) available on the preinstalled software and the Garmin Drive app (including Foursquare app) https://foursquare.com/download that we rarely need anything else.

For Archies and other MH related apps we use our standard smartphone and there's no size issues.

Hope that helps your decision.

Hi Ian -- Thanks very much for the info.

I'm impressed by the start up time, my TomTom now had trouble beating 2 minutes!

I take your point about the POIs, but the traffic warnings would presumably need data (google, from the phone?) which might be a problem as I don't have a data plan - just GiffGaff PAYG Goodybags.

whatsupdoc - 2020-05-25 12:22 PM

Hi Ian -- Thanks very much for the info.

I'm impressed by the start up time, my TomTom now had trouble beating 2 minutes!

I take your point about the POIs, but the traffic warnings would presumably need data (google, from the phone?) which might be a problem as I don't have a data plan - just GiffGaff PAYG Goodybags.

Yes Dave, you'll need to step into the world of a sim card with data.

Nowadays it's no big change as every sim company offers combined call, text and data packages. Using Google maps/traffic is not expensive in data consumption, so no need to buy a large data package. I get by happily on 8Gb per month from Sky and always have some unused data which "rolls over" in your sky piggy bank rather than being lost.

Thanks Ian. I actually also have a 1pmobile sim card in a tracker that I use with the van, and that is quite cost-effective.

But having to pair the sat nav with the phone to get traffic info is something I was hoping to avoid - the TomTom is self-contained in that respect.

So maybe I'll stick with the TomTom for one more trip, but if it continues to annoy, I think your sat nav would be the one of preference.

Hi & good morning Ian, and all others who responded to my request.

From all the positive advise received re the Tourer Two, I have now purchased one from 'aimoutdoors' for £299.99 delivered ! There efficiency is to be applauded. Ordered mid day - DPD delivered it next day !

Will sort out the bracket fitment later, then set it up to go with, from what has been reported, a much superior offering to my 'Caravan Club Snooper' !

Many Thanks to all who responded. Hopefully soon, we shall be allowed of the 'lock down lease' eh?

Take care and safe future travels.

Dave A

Good for you Dave.

Whilst idling in lockdown I've ordered the Avtex hard case carrier for my Tourer Two.

I've been using an older snooper carry case but, like the snooper sat nav, it's not up to the job (lol)

Enjoy the new sat nav, hope we can all get back on the road before too long to use them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Good afternoon all,

Further to all the replies from you good people re this thread - as reported, I purchased at an excellent price with rapid delivered a version of this Avtex Tourer Two etc. from 'Aimoutdoors' Bristol -

This morning I finally found time to unpack & check it over, prior to manufacturing / purchasing a mounting bracket for same, to find the Avtex dosn't have an input socket to feed the (built in from new) reversing camera ???? This socket on the 'Snooper' (and original Swift fit Blau-Puntk) is labeled "TMC?V-in" ..

SO now i'm deep in the doo doo, with (from all your good reports) an excellent, but for me, an unusable product !

THAT IS - unless someone out there can come up with a solution that dosn't involve Avtex's suggestion, I replace the built in Reversing Camera that I had a '2nd circuit' wired into, allowing security/observation viewing whilst in motion (our 107 tow car!)

I live in hope !

Many Thanks in anticipation !

Dave Adams

As I said above "The Avtex device is a derivative of Garmin’s Camper 780 MT-D with Caravan & Motorhome Club data added”.

As far as I’m aware, no Garmin vehicle sat-nav has an input-socket for a reversing camera. What certain Garmin sat-navs have is the capability to be ‘paired’ with a Garmin wireless backup camera and there’s a compatibility list here.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=bl7aRUlG1719d1KM2acL68

The Avtex Tourer Two manual is available on-line

https://www.avtex.co.uk/support/english/42-rv-780-avtex-tourer-two-manual-en/file

but the possibility of displaying a reversing-camera image on the device does not seem to be mentioned.

Avtex’s website

https://www.avtex.co.uk/sat-nav/bc30

states that the Garmin BC 30 camera is compatible with their Tourer One and Camper 660 Premium sat-navs and I’m guessing the BC 30 would also be compatible with the Tourer Two. The BC 30 camera was discussed here last month

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Garmin-BC30-reversing-camara/55207/

If you are happy with your present camera’s performance and you want to use it while travelling as well as when reversing, the best option would probably be to connect that camera’s cable to a suitable dedicated monitor on the dashboard. For example

https://gb.snooper.eu/by-product/reversing-cameras/rc1000-7-lcd-monitor.html

I have traveled many thousands of miles throughout Europe in most countries with my trusted Tom Tom Via many years old ,and never had any problems, unfortunately now I do have problems with my T T Via , the charging plug in has failed, and I feel now is the time to get a new one, It will be Tom Tom again for me as I love them, I have 3, one in the car and 2, now 1 [ basic] in the van, I do not need to be told bridge heights or traffic jams blue tooth connection or any of that gubbins just life time map updates which is easy on T T. I have google App Navigation on the phone but do not like that, so as soon as lock down is over I will go to John Lewis again and get a new T T , I could buy on line but like to hold the item I am buying in my hands before purchase.adding my Own POIs on T T is really easy too.

Hello Derek and thanks for (as usual) very constructive reply,

Having spent rather a lot of time in an attempt to source a monitor with (the required) 'TMC/V-in' input sockets (ie:- none) this morning found me removing the radio & oddments box above in an attempt to trace the offending plug with its 'flat 3 cored wiring'. This led back to a small alloy junction box behind the passenger airbag beneath the 'lift up lidded' box - to find the offending cable & plug coupling to the alooy box via 'good old fashioned' red, white & yellow 'Phono's' , ie:- the same plugs use on ALL Monitor's available. So with this pleasant surprise, its back to setting up the Avtex Tourer Two, and to my search for a 4" or 5" monitor....

Oh, and as point of note, and prior to this mornings findings :- My polite request for the seller 'Aimoutdoors' Bristol to consider accepting return of the Unused, Untouched Etc ? Produced an offer of £101.00 (one hundred & one pounds!) upon its return ? Wasn't that generous of them - NOT ?

Thanks to all, keep safe.

Dave Adams

Archived