Sat Nav - alternative 'voices' - any experience?

Mel B

Hi I've seen adverts for alternative voices for the sat nav systems (such as Ozzie Osbourn etc). Has anyone bought any of these and are they any good, ie better than the original ones? Or are they just good for a laugh for a while and really a waste of money?

I would think that after a few "goes" you would get bored of the novelty of a "celebrity" voice. They come with clear voices which is surely the point of the things, as you should not look at the screen when travelling. Any voice which adds comments and remarks could I think potentially be dangerous.

Yes to both: gimmick and waste of money. A lot of skill and research goes into voice selection and the specific instructions. You have to have a certain tonal value to cut through the 'noise floor' or engine/road noise, so you need a clean crisp delivery and clear enunciation – so that let’s ‘ozzy’ out I guess! Most of us are Fiat based and lack the legendary hush of the Rolls Royce. Many of these are 'sound alikes' for pretty obvious reasons, and there’s nothing worse than a Ringer that’s not quite dead!

If your satnav is a TomTom variant then this site might be of interest. www.tomtomsatnav.info There are a number of free voices to try as an alternative to the TomTom supplied ones I use Liz from Radio Aire

When I finally switched from AOL I had to reluctantly give up the voice of Joanna Lumley telling me I had mail. If you can get her voice, download now, I'd say!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fjmike
I can recommend the Liz Whitaker voice from the site that both Gordon and Trevorf recomended. Most of the celeb. ones that I have heard are rather poor and would soon loose their novelty value. Liz's voice is clear and a lot more pleasant than the standard voices. Alternativly free software is anailable to record your own voice to TOMtom

Archived