Sat Nav file in KML

adhple

Sorry, I don't know what 'CC&MHC' stands for so can't determine what format you're wanting to convert from.

However, I tend to use either GPSBABEL or the 'batch convert' function within POIEDIT to do all my various conversions. Both programs are free to download and use.

It can be something of a black art requiring some tinkering with the conversion options and multiple attempts but you'll get there in the end.

(I wish this forum software would give you a few free minutes in which to edit posts without appending 'Edited by..'.,like almost all other forums do..)

Assuming you are camc member you can download relevant files from members area.

likewise if you are ccc member.

alternatively, numerous files can be found on internet in various formats, try Archies lists.

conversion between file formats is also available via internet..kml to csv or reverse just google for conversion progs

if I remember correctly, kml is that used by tomtom devices, wheras csv is garmin devices.

what specific files are you seeking?

Tonyg3nwl

adhple - 2018-11-26 1:28 PM

My sat nav is able to accept files ending in .KML I want to load CC&MHC files and Acce files does anyone know how to change to .KML or where to find .KML campsite files?

You can download files as .kml format from Archie's Camping website. It says they are compatible with the iGo format so I'm guessing that's what you want them for.

http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/

You could use this website to change the format to .kml if you have the files in a suitable format...

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

Steve928 - 2018-11-26 4:11 PM

Sorry, I don't know what 'CC&MHC' stands for...

I'd guess at 'Camping Caravanning and Motor Home Club' which is a bit of an amalgamation of the two main clubs names!

Usually C&CC is 'Camping and Caravanning Club' and C&MC is 'Caravan and Motorhome Club'.

Both clubs have downloads for their own POI's on their websites, but may not be in .kml format.

Keith.

Steve928 - 2018-11-26 4:11 PM

...(I wish this forum software would give you a few free minutes in which to edit posts without appending 'Edited by..'.,like almost all other forums do..)

You could try asking Daniel Attwood if he would be prepared to give you Moderator privileges.

Moderators have virtually unlimited editing capabilities for their own postings and those of other forum members, with no time limits - and there are no ‘footprints’ left after the editing has been done.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-11-26 6:39 PM

You could try asking Daniel Attwood if he would be prepared to give you Moderator privileges.

Moderators have virtually unlimited editing capabilities for their own postings and those of other forum members, with no time limits - and there are no ‘footprints’ left after the editing has been done.

Thanks but I don't I'm nearly responsible and sensible enough for that role!

It's only a minor annoyance and my fault that, however hard I try, I can't seem to avoid making at least one spelling mistoke (see what I did there :-D ).

There are forum-members that I’d be wary of them having Moderator privileges, but you aren’t one of them.

There has been discussion here in the past about running a spell-checker against postings (example here)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Spell-Checker/16365/

but I’m not sure whether any of the suggestions would still be relevant nowadays.

I’m forever editing my own postings if I spot a spelling, grammatical or punctuation error, or to remove ambiguity, but I try to keep my hands off other people’s postings. If I notice that someone’s link won’t work, I’ll attempt to correct it, or if a link causes the posting to expand massively acros the screen I’ll address that, but I won’t correct spelling mistales unless it’s really beneficial.

adhple - 2018-12-01 10:12 AM

Yes I can download the ccmh files but they asr not KML

You need to download a program to convert from whatever format the files come in, to .kml format. You will be downloading from the Caravan and Motorhome Club, the Camping and Caravanning Club, and, I think, ACSI? It is the file formats you need to change to .kml (indicated by the file suffix that follows the "." in the file name).

Try "Googling" GPSbabel as suggested above, download it (it is free), and then see how you get on. I haven't used it for several years and, when I last used it, although improved from my first experience with it, it was still not that intuitive. However, after a couple of false starts I got what I needed. It will not change the version of the GPS file you download - it copies it into the new format - so you can afford to experiment to get the file format, and title, that you want.

Alternatively, "Google" archies campings, and then download the sites GPS coordinates for the countries you want, in the format you need. You will find that the download includes a number of folders, each containing a copy of the files in the format required for the various brands of GPS devices. The IGO folder contains the files in .kml format. I'm pretty sure the UK files will include the CCC and CMC sites along with many other sites.

A couple of years ago I loaded a pretty comprehensive PDF "how to" on the first post here:

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/IGO-and-Primo-POIs/34445/

I note it has now been downloaded rather a lot of times, so I hope it is still proving of use.

I'm currently still in NZ, or I could send you a comprehensive set of up to date KML files.

If you're still struggling when I get back........

Archived