Sat Nav using lap top

Guest Maria

Guest Maria
Has anyone used action replay sat nav system that you use with a lap top. Would appreciate any tips or advice on using this system instead of somthing like tom tom go, apart from price. thanks in anticipation Maria

Guest PeteC
Look a few posts down Maria Most people prefeer a MAP What do you do if the computer cannot get a signal, battries go flat or the satnav does not cover the area - this happens in many areas in Spain, Portugal, Italy, Austria,.......

Maria was merely enquiring!! Surely if there was no signal etc she could THEN use a map?!! Maria- we don't use one with the laptop so can't really help you with your enquiry but ours is the type you can use in any vehicle (not fixed) and it was not expensive either - bought it at Mackro's and it's most impressive - good if you have no-one to navigate as it's difficult to read a map whilst driving!! You cannot always plan a route to perfection as if you get lost, you have to replan!!

Hi Maria, I use InfoMap Navigator 4 on my laptop. I connect via USB to a Garmin handheld GPS. It is certainly not in the same league as dedicated hardware, but for functionality at low cost, can't be beaten. I have the professional version which allows me to upload data, such as speed camera, campsites, low bridges etc. There are often times when satellite signal has been lost (like in London), which adds a bit to the "excitement" of the trip. Between Christmas and New Year we toured around the Bath/Glastonbury area, and got it to take us on some roads that we would not normally see. it was fantastic. It did try and take us down some small lanes, which I just ignored and allowed it to calculate another route. I find it an invaluable tool. InfoMap info on their website... http://www.directions.ltd.uk/ Pete

Hi Maria Mine was delivered today, got mine from Directions on the web. The Infomap bundle with GPS and Europe disk cost £103 including P+P which is cheaper then Action Replay who wanted to charge me £114 at the NEC show. I'll let you know how it performs if you want. The web address :http://www.directions.ltd.uk/ Phil

Maria I have also been looking into this option of a GPS system on use with a laptop and have found the CoPilot-Live. If it does what it says in the web site it would answer my questions, but I stand to be corrected if anybody else out there has already tried it please let me know. Check it out as another option. http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/copilot-live-laptop7.php OK so a map doesn't run out of battery but if you like playing with toys or haven't got a co-pilot to read the map while on the go a GPS system may help.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, We have used a GPS system for the last two years and the extra harmony in the cab was worth 100 times the cost. We have a Rikaline GPS receiver cost about £80 from memory, which sits on the front dash, under the Luton, and works perfectly well; an IBM laptop plugged into a small 200W invertor sitting on a fixed, made up table between the front seats (excellent for standing your sandwich plate on for cab lunches); Microsoft Autoroute 2003; Memory Map (no way as good as Autoroute but useful for the bits Autoroute doesn't cover); and an ordinary scroll mouse. This set up took us door to door to some friends in the middle of Den Haag (via one way streets et al. a city we had never visited before and niether of us speak any Dutch), down the Dalmation coast to Dubrovnik (including the bit through Bosnia-Herzegovina, but that's another story), and everywhere in between. Oh! if only Autoroute covered Morrocco or the Black Sea Countries it would be the best system in the whole wide world. We wouldn't be without GPS now and only wish we had taken the plunge many years ago. It is a miracle that our marriage lasted until the time we bought GPS.

Guest Bob Hayward
Hi, I have just downloaded some free GPS mapping software from http://gpss.npl.com/index.htm. I have connected a Garmin Etrex to the laptop via a usb cable. It appears to work ok and has an excellent demo mode.

Hi Maria Sorry about the late response just got back from ten days touring Devon where i used Navigation 4 for the first time. After a couple of problems installing (the mouse jumping around uncontrollably, sorted after visiting support on their web-site) on laptop we set off on the drive south. Overall it worked really well throughout although it did lose the signal twice on the first day but after a bit of tweeking it didn't happen again. After trying to fool it by taking the wrong route a couple of time it soon re-calculated a revised route and was very handy when visiting Weston-Super-Mare on the way back, i'd never visited before and it directed me to the nearest car park to the beach. The only disadvantages i can see are really to do with the laptop, mine fits snugly in the opening above glove compartment (Fiat Ducato) but if this isn't the case with yours it could get in the way, the other is the brightness of the screen when driving in the dark because of the size of the screen compared to a PDA it can be a little off putting with reflecting off the window screen but i think this is nit-picking really. For a cheap Navigation system compared with Garmin/TomTom this is the way to go. Hope this helps Regards Phil

Archived