Sat finder

Norma

Guest Norma
Can someone advise me on Sat finders. That is, do they work and are they worth the money? We have one (think it's Maxview) that may be for analogue. We have not found it worth using. Or is the tried, tested and long winded his n'her two way 'communications' the best method? And why does all the articles imply it is SO easy? It is when there are no trees, bushes, twigs or buildings etc. Then it becomes a battle of wills. Often when himself has achieved finding the signal we never even use it!

Guest Bill Ord
Hi, Yes Satellite finders do work but getting the satellite that you want is not what most finders do. Sky installers use a finder that indicates which sattelite is being received but they are generally beyond what we are willing to pay. Usually the problem is that you are getting a big signal but it's not the satellite that you want. My normal method is to set the dish at the aproximate angle pointing south and rotate to the east. Usually the first srtong signal will be Astra at 19 degrees if you rotate beyond this and don't find Astra 2 at 28 degrees it generally indicates that your dish is at too high an elevation. Go back to the stong signal at 19 degrees; set your sat. finder signal strength to about 75% now lower the angle of the dish by about 4 degrees or till the sat. finder signal strength is at about 20%; now rotate to the east and the next big signal should be Astra 2 at 28 degrees. If you were to imagine the satellites in the sky at their various compass positions Astra 2 at 28 degres is lower than most and this is what often causes the problem. Suggestions like taking a good book miss the point and there are good reasons why articles in magazines make it sound SO EASY, it's mostly a case of those who do, do and those who can't teach. Bill Ord

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brian
I bought a "PG753" sat finder from Maplins in Plymouth,cost about £40.This one has a dial reading although I've since seen an audio one which give out an ever increasing beep when locating the sat.Matter of preference really but a great help.

• 3 weeks later...
Norma Sorry this is a bit late, I've only just got back "on line". Just bought one, a "Televas", it has a meter and a changeable audio signal AND it can be left prermenantly connected between the dish and digi-box. The audio signal can be awitched off. Cost £65 at the Newbury show and it works! Regards Neal

Archived