Satellite Navigation info

Guest Tim O'Connell

Guest Tim O'Connell
Hi All, This may be of interest.There is a company here in Ireland now producing a satellite navigation system for connecting to your laptop via USB. Details below. Cost is £55 including P&P via normal parcel post. Software can be sourced by yourself or the company can provide it at a cost of £45. E-mail me at timoconnell62@hotmail.com if you require more details. Easi-Nav Navigator The Navsync Easi-Nav can turn your laptop into an in-car navigator. Simply plug the unit ( 2” x 2.6”x0.44”) into your laptop via the supplied USB cable and using off the shelf software , you can find your customer, holiday destination or even the way home. Small in size and easy on your pocket, this product is the ideal way to sample GPS without sacrificing accuracy or sensitivity. Based on our CW25 technology, this unit has the ability to track down to -185dBW, meaning it can be simply placed on the dashboard of your vehicle to receive signals. It also means that you can track even while navigating through areas of heavy coverage such as forests or urban canyons.

Guest Tim O'Connell
Hi Paul, I guess its between high-rise buildings where some satellite nav. systems may not work. Just took a copy of the sales sheet. I'm not selling them. My brother is the MD of the company so I've added the posting in case anyone is interested. If there is interest, I can put them in contact with the company directly. Thanks, Tim

Guest Mr Green
I can see the usefulness for this device for taxi drivers, police, ambulances etc but personally, I use a map to get around and I very rarely get lost. Why encumber your life with expensive electrical gadgets?

SatNav has made our marriage much happier. We had one of those old map things and loads of matrimonal disharmony. Now I know I've sent him the wrong way almost instantly! Gets the row over alot quicker. My boy just has to have his toys.

Agree with Norma. Sat Nav can make life a lot sweeter on tne move. We chose Tomtom and have not been disappointed in the UK or in France.

The same system is available in the UK from Action Replay who support it well. BUT, and ofr me it's a big BUT, where do you put a laptop where: - it's easily visible without looking down to the floor - you can get at they keyboard when you need to - it isn't a lethal missile in a crash? They cost a bit more but something tailor-made like Tomtom with a proper fixing seems much better to me - and preferable to taking someone's head off in a crash with a flying 30 mph laptop.

Mel E d'you work for the H&SE? Please think positively ... solutions not problems. I use the lap top for picture editing and storage, printing our own postcards, playing DVDs, CDs, e-mails,route planning off-line and more ... we already carry enough junk ... so multi-tasking is essential. We have our lap top on a secured "table" between the two front seats which I 'knocked up' on the road courtesy of 'M Bricolage'. It lets the dog sleep underneath and the lap top sits neatly on top facing the navigator, securely held by straps and powered from an inverter behind the driver's seat. 'Digital Dorothy' bellows out her commands and admonishes us when we go wrong and then instantly recalculates the route. Tom Tom just isn't as versatile - I can download stuff to the handheld unit that feeds the laptop and take it with me on excursions on the bikes or on foot. Navigator software is 65 quid and covers all of Europe to street level and the hand held GPS about a hundred - I already have the computer - so it is a far cheaper solution too. If you follow your safety argument then the driver double attending to a little screen full of information far more dangerous is it not? In the case of an accident the dog flying around the cab worries me far more as we hurtle to our deaths down some embankment. I wish you hadn't started me thinking now!

We have used Tom Tom at home and in Europe. Brilliant - no need to be looking for road numbers or road signs. More important, harmony in the cab! One word of caution - the GPS does not recognise the width of the road! This could lead to some hairy moments for bigger vehicles, especially on 'shortest route'. Of course you can always refuse a turn and you will soon be re-routed. Roy.

Martin, I don't want to prolong this, BUT . . . No, I don't work for the health and safety executive, but I do wear a seat belt when driving, as I suspect you do. And yes, your dog would become a lethal missile in a crash. Of course, it might not harm you - it might well go through the windscreen and into the vehicle you crashed into. It's why dogs in cars are placed in the boot, preferably behind a cage. Fortunately, motorhomes are not often involved in crashes. It's probably fortunate, since I suspect many have potentially dangerous missiles lurking on shelves. Just a thought - is your table crash proof?

I never thought for a moment that you worked for the H&SE ... and yes and I quote: "We have our lap top on a SECURED table between the two front seats" If my so called sense of humour doesn't appeal or translate into 'netspeak', or my writing failed to bring a wry smile sorry ...

Guest Georgina
Yes...shortest route can be a bit hair raising...didn't realise we had so many roads with grass growing up through the tarmac. But it doesn't bother my old man. "Country born & country bred" etc; etc: He just charges on like he is driving a ruddy combined harvester, scratching all our windows on the overgrown hedgerows...silly old sod buster.

Guest Colin Payn
We use sat nav in France and it has found us sites almost impossible from the Caravan Club book. It's on a laptop laid into some foam I bought and strapped down. My wife looks down at it and the large screen is split for distance and next junction. But,with a lot of junctions in a short distance it can get behind on the voice commands. In Paris it gave up altogether in the high rise buildings. We also use the laptop as a TV with an AVerTV Card Bus, best bit of kit we've bought. Tunes in anywhere with cheap directional ariel. Colin

Archived