Satellite T.V.Kits

Mike Culver

Guest Mike Culver
Just back from foriegn parts and we seemed to be the only unit without a Satellite T.V. system. knowing the postings praising Maplins, a visit to our local shop and in the Special Offers there is a Metronic satellite kit for £90, it would seem to cover all of europe, now 'wise ones' has anybody seen these and have any opinion as to if this would work for us? or what would they purchase, any help would be appreicated, I remember that we have seen them being sold at the Three Counties Show at Malvern, should we wait until them? Thamks.

Mike Be cautious about any claims that it works in the whole of Europe. A 60-65cm dish should get results into northern Spain and Italy but moving to the edge of the "footprint", such as central and southern Spain and Portugal, southern Italy, Greece, Turkey etc will likely require a 85-100cm dish. Claims and assurances are fine when they are trying to seperate you from your money but, when you are on the Costa Blanca with no TV, there is no-one to offer advice or refunds! Regards Neal

Guest Dave Newell
Mike what you are looking at is a multi satellite receiver, i.e. it can easily be aligned to any one of numerous satellites in the sky, not all of which broadcast English channels hence the 4000 channel coverage claimed. For UK tv programmes in southern Europe you will almost certainly need a bigger dish. However for under £90 it is good value for money and when inside the footprint it will get you the free channels, BBC plus lots of shopping and a truckload of God Squad. You may find something of interest on other satellites than Astra or it may only prove to be of curiosity value. dave@davenewell.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...
I was talking to Andy Harris of Roadpro at the Earl's Court show on Friday and was very interested to hear that you can get Sky and CNN plus some BBC radio programmes using just a 300mm diameter dish in Southern Spain. Being in the planning phase of ultimately full timing in Europe but still wanting to keep in touch with world news in English (but not wanting a 1200mm dish to get Sky Sports etc, from what I can gather - nor wanting to pay 40 quid a month for the privilege either!) this sounded like a good alternative. He quoted about 400 pounds for the lot including digibox etc which sounded OK as a one-off payment. The article he pointed me at in their catalogue is also on their website: http://roadpro.co.uk/techTips01.asp?TechTipID=15 and I was wondering if anybody out there has any comments on it, or any clever (and legal!) ways of getting more stations down in Malaga?

Archived