Satellite dish service

Mikeandthewife

Hi

Haven't used our satellite system for quite some years and it probably requires a bit of a service or replacing, can anyone recommend from their own experience a good satellite installer/service engineer, who would give good genuine advice on best way forward. We live in the East Riding of yorkshire, but dont mind traveling to get the work done.

Hi Caddies 104

Tried it once or twice in different camping areas a few years back and it just went round and round and wouldn't lock onto anything, someone told me the receiver box potentially required a software update, or changing for an upgrade, he said things changed at the point of everything going digital? Dont know if this is correct, I just got fed up with it and left it, not used it since.

The system is 15 years old and apart from the receiver issue, I thought it would want a health check, so to speak, but was looking for a trusted engineer, hence my post on this forum.

Perhaps the OP could advise the manufacturer of his satellite system.

Quite often, satellite dealers/repairers only service those systems they are familiar with.

For instance, Oyster Sat-Tech Ltd will only service Oyster satellite systems.

The internal mechanical workings are normally very well lubricated. The OP's problem is probably the transponder settings for the Astra 2 satellite need updating.

If the OP's system is 15 years old, it may not be possible to update the transponder settings because of the change from analogue to digital satellite transmissions.

Others have already advised, that, if your Oyster system is the Mk1, then Oyster stopped supporting this, many years ago.

The Oyster Mk 1, can easily be recognised, because the control box has a map of Europe, on the cover.

If this is the case, then it can't be reprogrammed. There used to be an option, to change the control box to the Mk 2 version, at considerable cost, but I doubt that this is available, any longer.

Jacksons would certainly advise you, regarding your options.

Incidentally, on the Oyster Mk 1, its quite an easy process, to find Astra 2, by using the "manual" option. I do this, myself, rather than waste money, unnecessarily.

Interesting that "Auditor" has a manual method for seeking out Astra 2 for the Oyster Vision Mk1.

Anthony at OysterTech Ltd is very helpful, tel 01858 575 928. His company is the UK agent for Oyster in Germany. He is an active member of the MotorhomeFun forum, known under the name of Anthony OysterTech.

Archived