Satellite reception

canalman

Hi folks, I have an automatic satellite dish set to the Astra 2 satellite, and feeding through a Humax freesat box. I am getting reception problems on certain channels. I've put a signal strength meter in the line and set it to 5 for BBC1. On some channels (e.g.Channel 4 and 5 HD) the strength drops to 1 but I still get a picture. On other channels (e.g.BBC4 and ITV2+1) the signal drops to 1 and no picture with messages of either 'receiver not receiving signal or it's too weak' or 'audio/video decoding buffer is underrun'. There are no obstructions for the dish. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You don't mention dish size and location when these problems occur.

Note that before considering any equipment problems, not all frequencies or stations are equal, a LNB is optimised for a specific frequency moving away from this will cause a (usually small) drop in signal, also some transponders are lower strength than others, although from memory the ones you mention are all high.

You don't say which actual model you Humax is, our older Panasonic freesats break up on C4hd and ITV1hd, but my newer receiver picks them up no problem.

Sounds to me that the channel frequencies are not up to date.

The satellite companies make regular changes to the frequencies and so all sat receivers need to be updated to take account of these changes.

Suggest, that if you haven't already done so, you get the latest transmitter frequencies.

If you've already done that then............. :-D

The location and dish size should mean no problems with reception, note that Freesat channels are transmitted from three different satellites which are nominally at same position so there is a slim chance that a very small realignment might improve reception.

The receiver is quite new so I would guess it shouldn't have the problems that my Panny's have, and I would guess it has automatic tuning, but it wouldn't harm to do as suggested above and do a manual retune.

Thanks for the replies. I tried a manual retune but it said it couldn't find the signal. So contacted freesat helpline who recommended a factory reset of the Humax box. This seems to have cured the problem, and all channels now available. Thanks again.

Archived