Scatched window ( The Long Story)

steveandlisa

Hi there,

Looked over the moho the other day to check and see if all`s well, yep ;-) and then again no, a pidgeon had sh#t all down one of the plastic windows and it was dried on >:-( I tried to remove it with a damp cloth, but it was far too stubborn 8o| So clever me decided it needed something with a bit more oomph, ah the wife`s kitchen scourer sponge should do the trick, you know the ones with sponge oneside and a sort of course nylon the other. Well I damped it down and put a little kitchen sink cleaning cream on and set to work, it took a bit of elbow grease but it was finally removed "yippee" :-D OK a few hours later and after the sun appeared "yipes" :-S the window was hazed and had some fine scratches were I was a little over enthusiastic :$

So after all this the question I suppose I`m asking is, has anyone tried "Fenwicks widow scratch remover" and is it any good (?)

Regards Steve

Steve

Fenwicks “Windowize” product is advertised here

http://fenwicks.info/caravan/index.php/exterior-products/windowize

As you’ve just ‘hazed’ your window, I strongly suggest you use “Windowwize” on its own to begin with and not use abrasive products like wet-and-dry papers The latter may be required to treat deep scratches, but should not be necessary for light damage caused by a nylon pot-scourer.

This link may also be of helpful

https://www.insuremyworld.co.uk/article/caravan/Cleaning-windows

pagey - 2018-12-02 11:13 AM

i have used toothpaste with good results but not the one with micro bits in

Have heard of this before. BUt Ok for deep scratches, but maybe not for this one. The window scratch cream works to a certain extent, but not for deep ones, as we know from experience, never did get a scratch off our window, that a lorry wing mirror caught!

PJay

Forget Brasso it contains ammonia and if you get any on the rest of the van it will stain yellow, also it's not that good at removing scratches from Windows. Fenwick's windowize is ok for cleaning your windows but you will be there a very long time getting scratches out. The best product is Mequiars PlastX, it's formulated for polyplast windows, contains nothing nasty and does the job.

Steve928 - 2018-12-02 9:34 PM

Surely you can never remove a scratch, only remove the window material surrounding the scratch so that it is at the same depth as the scratch i.e. make the window material thinner?

type

Polishing polyplast windows can be a very delicate job. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then it's no going to be polished out, but tree scratches can be removed. It must be kept in mind that most windows are coated and it's very easy to polish through the coating, which means the window is scrap

fjmike - 2018-12-02 10:21 PM

type

Polishing polyplast windows can be a very delicate job. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then it's no going to be polished out, but tree scratches can be removed. It must be kept in mind that most windows are coated and it's very easy to polish through the coating, which means the window is scrap

Hmm. I've seen plenty of polyplastic windows on caravans where the CRIS etchings had been polished out by thieves to the extent that they were completely invisible and no disturbances left to give any indication of where on the window they had originally been. I wouldn't have said the windows were scrap as a result either.

Double Glazed window panes only (excluding frames) can easily be replaced. I recently replaced three different panes.

I found it difficult to find on a Google search, so I telephoned a spares supplier who told me that they only supplied complete units including frames - I then asked a local caravan repairer and got the same answer, but with extortionate prices. I didn't want to replace frames because mine are sprayed grey and there would therefore be additional respray costs. I knew they were available because I saw them in a catalogue at the Paris Motorhome Show last year.

I then got a quote from EECO (ideal for obsolete windows) , they were very helpful and cheaper than replacing windows complete with frames.

I persevered ( I had asked on this forum in 2016, but did not get specific leads to follow then) and I found by trawling down through Seitz Window Spares on the Leisurespares.co.uk website that replacement double glazed window panes could be ordered. I telephoned them and they were very helpful and only required the AGS size numbers - the three windows cost me £690 and there was a 6-8 week delivery time.

No doubt other suppliers can also help - although my original enquiries were not helpful.

By the way - actually replacing the double glazed window pane is very easy......having released the pivot arm stay, just lift the window through 90deg and upwards using two hands because as you get towards vertical, the window just drops out of the 'v' retaining groove. I hope this helps others for future reference.

Archived