Schaudt LT 95 F LED control panel malfunction

MasterW

The subject control panel is fitted to my motorhome which is kept in store over the winter months.While in store both the habitation battery (2x95Ah AGM) and starter battery (1x95Ah AGM) are isolated with the exception of the alarm, tracker and Goldschmitt levelling systems which are hard wired to the hab battery. I last visited the motorhome to charge the batteries approx 5 weeks ago and the control panel was working fine. I visited the motorhome today(after all the cold weather) to find the control panel malfunctioning. When the habitation batteries were switched on, all the LEDs illuminated for a couple of seconds during lamp test. When the rotary control knob was pressed, the power on LED illuminated. However, when the control knob was rotated, it failed to call up any of the control circuits. While rotating back and forward, a circuit would illuminate occasionally but when rotated again, all circuit displays would extinguish. When mains was connected, the connection display plug illuminated correctly but the rotary control knob still refused to work. has anyone had similar a experience with this control panel? I wonder whether damp/condensation has caused the problem. I have yet to lift the control panel out but wondered if this was a common issue?

There’s this (GOOGLE-translated) discussion

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://forum.hme-ev.de/viewtopic.php%3Ft%3D9388&prev=search&pto=aue

where the problem was eventually tracked down to the control-panel’s push-button having become loose.

(Copy of instruction manual for LT 95 F LED panel here, but the ‘faults’ trouble-shooting advice is fairly limited.)

https://hymertsl588.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/LT-95-F-LED-Panel.pdf

I visited the motorhome yesterday. The batteries had been on charge for 72 hrs and the panel switched on during this time. On arrival, I immediately tried rotating the knob and surprise ,surprise, it worked straight away.

I did not carry out the 30 secs reset push, so all rather inconclusive. However, both my wife and I, thought the knob felt more positive and could be felt indexing round, whereas when it was malfunctioning, it did not have such a positive feel.

I can only conclude therefore, that the shaft had indeed contracted in the very cold weather and was allowing the knob to rotate on the shaft. We maybe will not get such a cold period again for years. Not sure how the knob is secured on the shaft on my LT 95 F LED control panel. When I bring the motorhome back out of store I will check for signs of slippage inside the knob.

Thanks for all suggestions

Rayc advised above - "Pull the knob off and operate the switch by hand. This is a fairly common fault when left in cold weather” and the German forum posting I provided a link to said that a slipping knob was eventually secured by “adhesive gel”.

Perhaps best to wait to see if it plays up again before trying to pull the knob off. (if it ain’t broke, etc.)

Archived