Scooter Carrier

Anthony g

Hi All, I have a Burstner Ixeo Time 55 726G which has a GVW of 3750kg and a payload capacity of 710kgs, I would really like to hang a scooter carrier for my Vespa (130kgs) off the back of the van (as opposed to a trailer) but am getting mixed messages as to the suitability of the van for this idea.

If anyone has specific experience of doing this with a Burstner I would be really grateful as I’m going around in circles!

Many thanks

Anthony

As Brian says you need to start with doing the maths which means a visit to a local weighbridge. There are loads all over the UK.

Weigh the whole van with you and whoever else normally travels in it and the stuff you would normally have in it then weigh both the front and the rear axles separately.

Then use the calculations in this article.

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/safe-loading-and-payloads

That should determine if the van is capable of carrying a scooter and rack.

Not sure where you are in the country but these guys near Ferrybridge do IMO the best racks you can buy. Ours is still going strong since 2008.

https://armitages.uk/armitages-carriers/

The key things to watch out for is the length of the overhang and weight distribution. The longer the overhang the more weight it will put on the back of the van and you may need to compensate for that by shifting weight forward.

With ours it was easier as I stored stuff in the front overcab bed area but we also have an extended Alko Chassis which means a longer wheel base and less of an overhang. I dont notice any difference with the bike on or off but some do if the van is already rear heavy.

Unfortunately some vans are not always suitable for a rack if they have chassis extensions that are only capable of supporting 100kg like I discovered many Autotrail vans have. Not sure about yours but its quite possible Armitage will have fitted a rack to your model of van so give them a call.

Thanks guys for your responses, very helpful. I very much suspect the van isn’t ideal but will do as suggested and do the maths. I have spoken to Armitage and they state they would have to strengthen the rear chassis extensions which doesn’t sound ideal. My other options is a transverse trailer which may be more appropriate. Thnaks both.

Btw Barry, love the Rik Mayal photo, was that his Alan Bustard character? When asked....."Do you like hospital food?” To which he replies "yes I do actually, But I have Bupa” .......or similar ....: )

It is important that if you use a single 50 tonne weighbridge (which most of them are) that the weighbridge plate is exactly level with the road up and away from the actual plate. Most plates are not recessed but sit on top and the roadway falls away so you need to drive further on to get the MH level to get the most accurate axle weights possible make sure you are in the MH in your seat not just standing on the plate.

Don't forget to fill the scooter fuel tank up and leave all the helmets and top box full if that is how you are going to load it on and weigh the scoot separately so the calculation is accurate.

Anthony g - 2021-04-21 7:17 PM

Thanks guys for your responses, very helpful. I very much suspect the van isn’t ideal but will do as suggested and do the maths. I have spoken to Armitage and they state they would have to strengthen the rear chassis extensions which doesn’t sound ideal. My other options is a transverse trailer which may be more appropriate. Thnaks both.

Btw Barry, love the Rik Mayal photo, was that his Alan Bustard character? When asked....."Do you like hospital food?” To which he replies "yes I do actually, But I have Bupa” .......or similar ...: )

LOL! I Cant remember where I got that photo from but he is too old in it for B'Stard but clearly thats the character. One of my all time comedy heroes. such a loss.

Good that you are talking to Armitage. If you can do it with a rack then its worth doing. Trailers of any description appear to be a bit of a hassle. Our bike is a Honda Vision 110 which is just 102 kg. Thats about as light as they go. The Suzuki Address 110 is similar but a bit lighter.

niktam - 2021-04-21 7:46 PM

It is important that if you use a single 50 tonne weighbridge (which most of them are) that the weighbridge plate is exactly level with the road up and away from the actual plate. Most plates are not recessed but sit on top and the roadway falls away so you need to drive further on to get the MH level to get the most accurate axle weights possible make sure you are in the MH in your seat not just standing on the plate.

Don't forget to fill the scooter fuel tank up and leave all the helmets and top box full if that is how you are going to load it on and weigh the scoot separately so the calculation is accurate.

Overall, I think the best approach, bearing in mind that weighbridges are generally designed and equipped for use by vehicles far heavier than the average motorhome, is to get two weights, the first being with the van standing as centrally on the platform as possible, the second with the lighter loaded axle (usually the front axle if the van is fully laden - which it needs to be for this exercise) just, but only just, off the platform so as to place the other axle as far toward the centre of the platform (theoretically its most accurate point) as possible.

If the weighbridge is at a builders' yard, for example, it's normal use is likely to be weighing bulk goods (i.e. gravel etc) in or out. If the weighbridge operator sets it up for a delivery, the truck will be weighed full on arrival, will then go and unload, and will be weighed again empty before exit. The difference between the two weighings being the weight of its delivered load.

For motorhome axle loads the whole van is first weighed (weight A), then the heaviest axle weighed (weight B), and if the weighbridge is set up for a delivery the weighbridge will calculate A - B to give weight C, which will be the load on the lightest laden axle - all on one ticket! :-) If the rear is the heaviest laden axle, and the front wheels taken only just off the platform, any resulting small variation in level (due to a slope on/off, as above) should not generate a significant error. This may be more critical for a mechanical weighbridge, but I understand that most these days have been converted to electronic, which are considerably more accurate, but in any case all are checked quite regularly by Weights and Measures.

Archived