Scooter rack / loader

Barcobird

Due to excessive weight on my rear end (lol) I am thinking of removing my existing scooter rack from the rear of the Moho and putting the scooter inside the garage.

Has anyone seen, installed or know of an English dealer on the following;

One of our members in the Carthago owners club has just fitted something similar.

Don't think there are any agents in UK. He imported his from Italy for €299 + €50 shipping.

His has the sliding bit but just with a U bar to secure the front wheel. Also, the back wheel needs to be chocked.

He bought his from https://www.campingsportmagenta.com/it/portamoto-da-garage-per-camper-speedy-system

Alternatively, you could do what I've done. Get a 50 x 100mm timber and screw thick plywood either side to form a U section (full length of garage). This holds the scooter upright whilst strapping the handlebar down using purpose made straps available from any motorbike shop. A wooden chock secures the scooter from fore and aft movement.

Robbo - 2019-05-19 10:09 AM

One of our members in the Carthago owners club has just fitted something similar.

Don't think there are any agents in UK. He imported his from Italy for €299 + €50 shipping.

His has the sliding bit but just with a U bar to secure the front wheel. Also, the back wheel needs to be chocked.

He bought his from https://www.campingsportmagenta.com/it/portamoto-da-garage-per-camper-speedy-system

Alternatively, you could do what I've done. Get a 50 x 100mm timber and screw thick plywood either side to form a U section (full length of garage). This holds the scooter upright whilst strapping the handlebar down using purpose made straps available from any motorbike shop. A wooden chock secures the scooter from fore and aft movement.

Thanks Robbo, it’s more a question of loading and unloading than securing the bike once in.

I’m guessing the Carthago garage is quite a bit bigger than mine?

Peter

You can not be serious, by the time you have pushed the scooter up the ramp the hard work is done, or is it that there is no room in the garage to tie down securely in which case I understand. We push ours in the garage of an A class Dethleffs and then wriggle in the garage to secure.

My garage door opening is 109cm high x 100cm wide. I have to remove the wingmirrors and topbox prior to loading. The garage takes the scooter + a mountain bike plus tables & chairs etc.

The scooter is positioned as close as possible to the rear axle, infact I lean the scooter over a bit to get the handlebar through. I use engine power to drive the scooter up the ramp. Haven't noticed any petrol fumes entering the inside of the van.

My scooter is actually slightly higher than the garage opening but due to the "ramping effect", it goes in with a small clearance.

The door opening is 79cm x 123cm high which means I have about 2cm either side of the handle bars to get it in. The bed is electric and can go up but I can’t raise the front wheel more than about 5cm off the floor, even then the mirrors will have to come off.

No I’m not joking Deffheads, I’ve given up trying to struggle with things when generally there is an easy solution.

BruceM - 2019-05-19 5:08 PM

How about https://www.sawiko.com/uk/rear-garage-loader-motorcycles

or a clearer link is https://www.sawiko.com/uk/rear-garage-systems-motorhomes

They have an outlet in Warwickshire.

Thanks, your link takes me to more or less the same thing I was looking at on the Italian site. Usually anything to do with Alko is expensive, I will see when they reply to my email *-)

I have a Sachs MadAss motorbike 100Kg which lives in the garage as in the picture, along with 2 fold up electric bikes, the tables & chairs etc. As previously stated I have tried to keep all the weight towards the rear axle.

The wing mirrors and top box are removed, then the bike is pushed up a simple u profile ali ramp into the garage BACKWARDS. This allows us to stop at any point by applying the front brake, & no real effort is required to push the bike up. I usually do this on my own - my wife simply puts the side stand down at the appropriate time. She can sometimes help by simply by rotating the wheel by holding the tyre, but it's not really necessary. I made a simple frame so that the ramp is slung under the motorhome in front of the rear wheels and held in place by a quick release carabina type clip.

1322130805_madassgarageA.thumb.jpg.3c612c1bfae6a8a86fc43cb14f9bb763.jpg

There’s a relevant 2018 discussion on the MHFun forum

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/scooter-motorcycle-loading.168669/

In principle the Sawiko electric-winch system should be best, as it pulls the scooter all the way up the loading-ramp and into the garage with no human physical effort being needed other than possibly to stabilise the 2-wheeler as it ascends the ramp.

The system is advertised here

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/Sawikoreargarageloaderelectricwinch.htm

No pricing is given, but presumably the advertiser would be prepared to install the system.

Barcobird - 2019-05-20 8:58 AM

Thanks for the links Derek.

Laimeduck, you have a little bit more space left in there *-), I'm sure you could find something to stuff in (lol)

It's mainly air! We use 2 old airbeds in pillow case like bags which are wedged between the various bits to stop any movement. The high blue item is the double bed over the garage.

Archived