Scottish campsites

dawki

Hi was hoping to go roughly up and round the north coast of Scotland beginning of Sept

been looking at some of the club sites (both) and all looks pretty booked

I much prefer not to book to much in advance and just wonder a bit for 3 week ish (7.4m coach build)

if anyone has an recommendations for non club sites or overnight stops that might be ok that would be very much apppreciated

we like to walk and cycle plus scenery and sunshine :-D

Is it better to travel from East to West....anti clockwise

The weather tends to be drier on the East coast so we always tried to route according to the weather forecast - not that it was ever entirely right!

On t'other hand midgies don't like wet and the West coast is wetter (and midgier) than the East coast - as a rule!

It might come down to - do you feel lucky!!

A couple of tips for you - on the east coast in the east Lothian village of Gullane on the road to North Berwick you have the stunning Archerfield Estate - home to Archerfield Golf Courses and The Renaissance Club ( host of Ladies open on Sky last week) anyway -stunning location there is a club site nearby at Yellowcraigs in Dirleton.

My point is inside the Archerfield estate lies the walled garden , first left as you drive in , they have just started to allow overnight parking for motorhomes only - no facilities , just parking , but with an onside brewery and great restaurant- surrounded by world renowned golf courses Gullane -Muirfield-North Berwick along with the above it could be an option to break up your journey on way home or on the way there .

One more thing the dreaded midge is more prevalent on the West Coast and through the central belt . Enjoy our country we need as many visitors as possible

webby1 - 2020-08-18 12:15 PM

Anyone know of a local listing for N500 route or where to start looking.for those that are open.

Both of the big clubs have lists of which sites are open for the remainder of this year and with or without facilities...

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/2020/

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/reopening-our-campsites/

Keith.

If you are a club member there are a number of CL sites along the way also private ones. Some villages allow stopping by there village halls. I have been round the route several times so just keep your eye out. Sorry I could give you a couple of sites one overlooking Loch Eribol and one on the way to Red Point near Poolewe.

The Campsite Near Poolewe is about three mile from the village on the right handside. It's a crofting community site in amongst the sand dunes. You can fill up with water at a bungalow on the left hand side of the there is a hosepipe hanging over the wall on road before you get to the site. there are no facilities .If you use green toilet fluid you could empty in the pubic loo's as you enter the village from the site.

The Eriboll site is a five van site with a tearoom great apple sponge. Address is 94 Laird Loch Eriboll IV27 4UN.

If you go on google and type in Loch Eriboll you will find it.

Hope you have a good time

There's plenty info on here about the NC500, some of which I've contributed to.

Friends of ours were talking to 'homers heading back south from the NC and were disappointed by what they heard. Bags of litter everywhere, vans parked in most of the laybys and even in passing places. Van owners dumping brown waste at the side of the road, (this was also posted on a biker forum I am on). I heard somewhere that councils were leaving garden trowels in laybys, so that people using them as a toilet stop, can bury their deposit. Is that somewhere you would really want to stop for a breather or to stretch your legs, let alone park up for the night.

There was also some articles in the national papers about the backlash from locals, who are gaining very little from the tourists, but having to put up with a lot of inconvenience.

As I have said before, I regularly visit the NC by van or by bike, nearly every year for the past 20, but it has certainly lost its charm. I won't do the whole route anymore, only parts of, the best bits. To me, nothing beats the views and scenery, and if you do go, I hope you get a clear-ish run, because you will not forget it. However, I believe that the route has become a victim of its own success, especially during this enforced stay-cation.

I have just cancelled our planned NC500 trip which was to start mid-September, primarily due to all the loutish behaviour of newbies detailed previously, the reduction in the number of sites still open and the following request issued 18/08/20 by welovestornoway.com - see www.welovestornoway.com/index.php/articles-auto-3/17772-campervan-crisis-plea It was part of our plan to visit Stornoway, Skye & Mull but had been unable to find pitches anywhere past Durness that would co-ordinate with our itinerary.

Maybe next spring will be better, if the world has settled down a bit.

All the locals I have spoken to whilst organising this trip have all said, east to west is the best way to go as the scenery just gets better and better.

Pedrogee - 2020-08-21 5:56 PM

All the locals I have spoken to whilst organising this trip have all said, east to west is the best way to go as the scenery just gets better and better.

Up to you but as a Scottish resident who drives these roads regularly (without feeling the need to label them) I'd go West to East every time. You'll be on the side of the road nearest the coast, with the rare West coast sun (more likely the wind and driving rain) behind, plus there are several beautiful scenery 'reveals' which could be lost to the rear view mirror travelling the other way. In addition, you'd be moving from the overcrowded, over wild-camped, wet, midge-ridden West and moving into the peaceful, dry and sunny yet equally beautiful (in its own unique way) East coast. You could even leave the NC500 route and visit some of the superb scenery off of the beaten track (if you convince an East coast resident to give you some pointers.. :-D ).

Another vote for west to east. Its the recommended route so most people are going that way on the single track roads, and the most spectacular views are west and north so you want to see them before the weather turns and visibility reduced. There is more to enjoy in poor visibility on the East side, like the harbour and museum at Wick, the Big Burn walk at Golspie, and the Botanic Gardens at Inverness (and Aberdeen) both free entry and parking outside - a far cry from the rip-off at kew.

We've stayed on 2 sites at Ullapool, both good. Broomfield is a large site within the town itself and Ardmair is a smaller one about 3 miles away, with a bus into the town. Quieter and more basic but still with all the facilities. Both on the water's edge. Broomfield has a pub and an Indian restaurant at it's entrance! Ullapool is a nice wee town with all the usual shops, cafes and pubs. You can also catch the ferry to Stornaway from there.

Archived