Sea sloop 5 drop down bed

Atlowers

• 2 weeks later...
The drop down bed in my newly acquired sea sloop is held by the gas struts no problem when stationary. As soon as I drive, it drops down at the front. Question is have other sea sloop owners had similar experience. Got a quote for replacement struts but am surprised the struts are only 150n. With weight of mattress and the fact that the struts are not at vertical when in up position I am wondering if to upgrade them to 200n. I could, I assume travel with bed down and is this what others do? Thoughts, experiences much appreciated.

Gas struts can (potentially) be regassed

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/re-gassing-service

but as your motorhome’s bed struts are (at least) 16 years old, it may be better to replace them. (Shop around for the best price - there are plenty of advertisers.)

Given their purpose (to hold the front part of the roof bed in its raised position - images attached below) 150N sounds a mite on the low side, but I don’t know exactly how your Sloop’s bed mechanism is supposed to function. The 150N struts may well have been perfectly adequate when your SEA Sloop was built in 2004, and it’s perhaps to be expected that the struts’ original capability will have diminished by now.

Have you removed the struts and checked that each feels like it still has a 150N ‘push’?

There’s a near-zero chance of you getting a Yes or No answer about whether you should replace the present 150N struts with higher rated ones - you’ll have to decide that for yourself. Personally, I’d assume that the 150N struts were adequate when Sloop 5s were originally built - otherwise buyers would have complained - but if you are going to replace the struts a mild force upgrade (say to 170N) should do no harm (maybe!!). You choice to stick with the old struts and drive with the bed down, but this is bound to be a nuisance and I wouldn’t do it.

bed.jpg.3ae47469c086aed1ee6f8934ddb400ce.jpg

bed2.png.0cd9140c9d34e385c9cfbebec76d0933.png

Archived