Seats

Guest Kevin

We have a Ford Frisky, where the front seats wind down to form part of the beds. However, when travelling long distances both myself and my wife experience back ache due to the shape of the seats(Er hem, whilst driving of course). I believe there are seat covers which can be purchased which give more shape to the seats (these may be blown up or not - the seat covers I mean). Just where is this message leading - perhaps all this should have been rephrased. On a serious note, has anyone else had this problem and if so how have they overcome it and does anyone know where we can get the seat covers from. Kevin and kath Hawkins

Kevin My tongue is firmly in my cheek at this moment but, why not get a "proper" motorhome that actually does ALL that you want it to. That would save corner-cutting bodges. You pays your money and takes your choice... Regards Neal

Kevin, if you buy blow up ones check out the width of them first, I bought one for my taxi when I was working and they tend to be too narrow,Bit like sitting on a cushion half the width of your backside. Very difficult to get it cental and you keep rocking from side to side. I ncidently mine is quite small!!!!

There seems to be a dirge of knocking one and other on the forum tonight what with digital TV's and now this Why cant people just answer the question in a serious manner SORRY Neal but it had tobe said I dont know the vehicle however I do know the problem of bad back due to poor seating - painfull aint it - There are some lumbar things to attach to the seat - Try a cushion at your back before spending money I get achache when I drive my son's cars Be cause you are in a semi prone position with your arms held out and pulling the stearing wheel round - even with power stearing - also your legs are in a stupid position making for more stress The actuall solution is to totally change the driving possition (impossible I know) I have driven vehicles larger than cars for 30+ years - Land Rovers, 2000KG delivery vans and now a 3500Kg Motor Home In these you sit upright - in a similar position to sitting at a table. In spite of the hard seats and hard springing of the basic Land Rover I had no back problems It is not just the dual use seats that sre the problem

Guest Derek Uzzell
Kevin/Kath: It's generally recognised that the design of most vehicle seats is pretty dire ergonomically. However, people vary so much physically and a technically hopeless seat may be perfectly comfortable for some drivers while the most expensive, supportive and totally adjustable seat may cause serious discomfort in others. I owned a Toyota sports-car with multi-adjustable seats that provided 100 different ways for me to be uncomfortable. I swapped them for German-built Recaro seats but they weren't that wonderful either. Next car was a Corolla diesel hatchback (a tactical purchasing decision to reduce the chances of me killing myself on the roads) with simple seats with just longitudinal adjustment and a reclining back-rest. These looked basic but were comfortable for me even over long distances. Unfortunately, despite Neal's confidence in 'proper' motorhomes, there's no 100% guarantee that a vehicle seat that's nice on first sitting in it, or during a short test drive, will prove to be comfortable long term. I remember padded seat covers were once widely available, but I think these were intended more to limit a driver's side movement during spirited cornering than provide back support. I haven't seen these around for some time, but I don't think they'd fit over your Frisky's special seats in any case. There are some orthopaedic aids advertised on www.westons.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Back_Support_886.html that you could consider, but PeteC's suggestion of experimenting with cushions (tie them in place) would certainly be worth trying first. As your 'van is Transit-based you could think about switching to the contemporary standard Ford seats (if you can still find some good ones) as these were competent support-wise. Probably badly compromise the bed-making though. You don't give your ages (and I'm reluctant to guess from your posting) nor do you say how long "long distances" are. I used to be able to drive endlessly without aches and pains. Now I'm normally limited to a couple of hours maximum (the demands of the bladder!), but I find this is plenty to be sitting in a semi-static position. The one time recently I've driven longer than I ought my back played up for a month afterwards. Neal: I see you've once again donned the Sacred Stetson of the Evangelical Brotherhood of Saint Arvin-le-Grand.

Seats. I've owned at least a dozen VW vans from the rounded window one's through to the T5, all with standard upholstered seats and no problems, all were very comfy, the latest has 'posh' leather seats, looks good, definetly not so comfy, certainly wouldn't choose them again (if ever). Mind you I've aged some 30 years in that time perhaps that's why the joints complain.

Archived