Security device (and Insurance) recommendation

hammer

We have found a motorhome that we are going to buy and am now looking for recommendations for security devices.

I have read about issues with Ford Transit keys, our van will be Fiat Ducato based - should we be concerned about easy access?

Does anyone have recommendations for any of these (or even are they necessary?):

- external habitation + locker door locks

- Security bar to lock cab doors together

- steering wheel lock and/or external wheel lock/clamp.

(Am I being a bit paranoid?)

Has anyone any recommendations (or otherwise) for Insurance companies?

Thanks

New Transits have a different type of key to the older ones - not sure when this came in, but my 2017 version has a rectangular section blank with two cut tracks (very similar to my Kia car) rather than the "Tibbe" round shank key. The keyfob also contains a transponder for the imobiliser, so a "generic" key shouldn't allow the vehicle to start even if it allowed entry. Can't recall hearing that Ducatos were easy to enter with "bought off the internet" picking devices as earlier Fords & wasn't particularly bothered in that regard when I had Ducatos.

My brother in law works for an insurer & he said recently that they were recommending a return to using external devices. When I looked last year, there were two Thatcham approved external steering wheel locks - Disklock (big, heavy & £100+) and Stoplock Pro ( yellow stick - easier to find a home for & £50ish). I chose the latter, on the basis that if it was easier to get at and employ, I would be more inclined to employ it ! I have also got a clutch lock (Chinese thing about £10 from Ebay - fits the Ford steel clutch lever but not the Ducato plastic lever) that prevents the clutch from being depressed - as the new "nanny" Transit requires the clutch to be depressed before it will start, this should delay a would-be thief if they manage to get in & bypass the ignition/imobiliser. I also rotate the swivelling seat to impede access - currently looking for a lock that will fit through an exising hole in the seat base to prevent the seat being un-swivelled easily. An insurance requirement for this van was a Thatcham tracker. I have not bothered with an alarm - not an insurance requirement & I don't think I would feel any safer with one fitted.

I fitted a Milenco external hab door lock to the last van, but have not bothered with this one. One suggestion is that these eternally applied locks just serve to inform the ner-do-wells that the van is un-occupied & do little to impede a break-in.

Insurance is a lottery. I was with the Caravan & Camping Club scheme for over 5 years & they beat every other company by a long way for my last two vans, but were way out on the current one. Currently with Caravan Guard. Unfortunately you need to try a variety to find "the one" who works best for your particular circumstances - I nearly didn't bother buying my first van due to the extremely high quotes I was getting, but eventually found one company who came in at half the price quoted by the others. At renewal time, though, they hiked the premium by 50% - but with a years NCD the C&CC scheme then became cheaper than the original first premium ! Sense & reason do not appear to apply to insurance quotes.

Nigel B

The premium is one side of the coin, the other is the response to a claim. When my van was stolen 4 years ago the Caravan Club couldn't have been more helpful and I got a very satisfactory settlement for van and contents within a few weeks.

My Transit based Hymer Exsis was stolen last year and they managed to jam the tracker and pick the ignition lock,I am assuming this as I still had all keys in my possession! Tibbe picks can be bought by anyone from Ebay!

I now have a Ducato based vehicle,only because I could not find a Hymer model to replace it with,there are cab dead bolt door locks for the Ducato range.http://www.campervanstuff.com/shop_stuff/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=1385

I now have these on and a Disklok,which has a Thatcham categorisation,together with a Clutch Claw and an alarm.http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwyN7JBRCZn7LKgb3ki8kBEiQAaLEsqpru0jMpJhA3jG-qiieFLsELwNVcIsesb5ne28ANmHYaAjHw8P8HAQ

https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product/clutch-claw-in-car-security-device/

I agree that physical barriers are effective and this has been borne out by the Police. The more electronics

they fit to vehicles the easier it seems to be for thieves!

There is only so much you can do to prevent forced entry and so although I considered fitting extra door locks a few years ago I decided against it.  I did suffer a break in of a previous MH when it was parked on the drive and they forced a window to get it.  I took the view that if someone wants to break into a MH, they are going to succeed, one way or another.

I take some precautions, like not parking in dodgy places, but otherwise, since the insurers don't insist on special locks or alarms, I rely on the cover that provides me with.  So far, in eleven years of ownership, it has worked out OK.

Security where the MH is parked unattended for log periods, including on the drive at home, may be worth taking seriously, but again I doubt that heavier door locks are the answer.

Archived