Selling our MH anyone heard of Motorhome Depot?

ike

Hi we're selling our Pilote Galaxy and received a phone call from this company - Motorhome Depot. They say they will advertise (and hopefully sell) our van at no cost to ourselves. They charge the buyer commission apparently, offer finance to the buyer. The vehicle stays with us until sold and payment has been processed. Anyone heard of them or used them?Thanks in advance for any info

As someone who would prefer to buy a nearly-new private sale motorhome (I don't enjoy the buying new experience) I just walk on by the Motorhomedepot ads.

There seems little point in paying the price the seller will accept PLUS the broker's not-insubstantial commission on top, which generally brings the deal up into the region of dealer forecourt prices. If I want to pay forecourt prices I'll go to a forecourt.

I wish people would advertise their vans privately for the price they're willing to accept rather than succumbing to the temptation to bump them up to match brokerage or dealer prices. It's what I've always done; both parties get a fair deal and I've always sold my vans quickly (very quickly).

I fully agree with your points.

There is also the fact that, when using a Broker, you are locked out of advertising and selling your vehicle privately - or part exchanging it - for the fixed period of the contract, which is usually 90 days unless you agree to pay them the equivalent of their lost commission.

Regrettably yes, Decided to sell my old motorhome, a much loved Hymer with zero faults bar a couple of small nicks and dents to a 14 yr old bodywork. Looked after religiously and heavily over-serviced over the years, changed gas hoses and tyres regardless of condition because of age recommendations.

I do not live in the UK so had a limited time window to sell private with viewing and during this period got a call from Motorhome Depot with smooth reassurances of a painless selling experience with a broker. The nightmare of the snake oil salesman emerges. I priced very low for a quick sale but no obstacle to the constant wheedling and drivel I now have to put up with. Ready for a nervous breakdown. Proceed with caution unless you are desperate for a sale. Me, I just want my MH back, no point to sell in such horrendous circumstances, rather lend to friends and family.

ike - 2020-02-14 4:42 PM

Hi we're selling our Pilote Galaxy and received a phone call from this company - Motorhome Depot. They say they will advertise (and hopefully sell) our van at no cost to ourselves. They charge the buyer commission apparently, offer finance to the buyer. The vehicle stays with us until sold and payment has been processed. Anyone heard of them or used them?Thanks in advance for any info

Yes and my advice is read the fine print carefully....which nobody does! But it's quite simple how it "works". They will come along and take plenty of photos, even a video, and yes they will advertise your van on various sites at no cost to you.

Their commission fee is £2k so if you want £20k for your mh they will market it at £22k. If you negotiate a sale with a buyer and drop your price, MHD still take the £2k commission fee. Now for the small print. After one month you are bound into the contract you signed leaving you nowhere else to go and no way out until it has lapsed so think about that bit very carefully.

I'm afraid i have a dim view of the various motorhome brokerages as they account for the high prices of used vans on offer in UK today. Unfortunately many owners now opt to use them as they can't be bothered to take their own photos or pay for advertising. AutoTrader is reasonable and Gumtree is free though won't get as much notice as AT but still worth using. A simple nationwide search on AutoTrader showed there are currently 2,098 2 berth motorhomes for sale......just 82 of those are being sold privately.

Fm Steve928 echoes exactly my thoughts in his post....particularly the second paragraph.

Last year, before we decided to go new, we saw a PVC we quite liked the look of. We contacted the Agent to enquire about the vehicle. The price was rather high, so testing the water I asked him to put an offer to the owner. He was very polite about it, but said it was too low to put forward.

Therefore, you can’t even get offers to the owners unless the Agent thinks it high enough. :-S

I tried to look at one for sale with them , the agent wasn’t even going to let me see it unless I gave him a £500 non refundable deposit as he said it was well described & was fed up with time wasters

It was 2 years old and he wanted £65k ,with no negotiation, I explained the newer model was out and costs £71k brand new , his answer was well go and buy it then , so that’s exactly what I did , that was a MH I would have bought if he hadn’t been involved, it was still for sale 3 month later

I wouldn’t buy or sell from them or advise anyone else to do so

As a buyer currently looking for a new van I have stopped even contacting Motorhome Depot agents and just ignore the ads. All the ones I have contacted have been next to useless. One I enquired with when I asked about payload he didnt even know what payload was and just after two days where presumably he contacted the owner came back with the gross vehicle weight. :(

Some dealers though are not much better. None will agree to take a van to a weighbridge even on the promise of a sale if it checks out.

I am just hoping one day ill find a genuine private seller or a good dealer that knows their onions with the exact van I want but it would be easier finding the Holy Grail.

When we sold our van we contacted Motorhome Depot who were a complete waste of time. They didn't get back to us as they said they would. When we contacted them again they suggested a price less than the price a couple of dealers had offered us. In the end we sold it to a dealer, less than we had originally wanted but a very efficient process and no time wasters to deal with I'd stay well clear of them.

Barryd999 - 2020-02-17 8:38 AM

As a buyer currently looking for a new van I have stopped even contacting Motorhome Depot agents and just ignore the ads. All the ones I have contacted have been next to useless.

I am just hoping one day ill find a genuine private seller or a good dealer that knows their onions with the exact van I want but it would be easier finding the Holy Grail.

Good luck on the bolded....with the accent on 'private' more than the 'genuine' bit. As my previous post shows private sales of mh's/campers are now a tiny minority all down to the proliferation of brokers. Even cars have gone down a similar route though obviously with them there is way more competition but it's easy to see just how few mh's are private on AutoTrader as clicking the 'private/trader' tab shows how many of the model van you're interested in is for sale by either.

BruceM - 2020-02-17 2:33 PM

Motorhome Depot is a franchise operation – see https://www.motorhomedepotfranchise.co.uk/ , so you will basically be dealing with a self employed individual trying to recoup his initial cost of joining the franchise (£36,000) . The selling/buying experience will no doubt be down to the quality of that particular individual.

This quote from that link is interesting!

Motorhome Depot is a part of a privately owned group of businesses that was established in 2010 with the purpose of using new technologies to disrupt the rather sleepy world of motorhome retail. At the time, private buyers and sellers were hostage to an archaic industry where the odds of getting a fair deal were slim and the alternatives were few. 8-)

The only 'technology' used is a camera, computer and phone.....hardly "new" tech! :-|

Archived