September 2004 Issue - It ain't heavy

Guest Ro Lee

Guest Ro Lee
The only issue from 2004 which is missing from my collection is September and I am particularly keen to read Mel Eastburn's article "It ain't heavy - it's my motorhome". I have tried to order it as a back issue but unfortunately it has sold out. I wonder if anyone out there can help me and I will be happy to pay the postage and return the magazine once I have read it. I have now taken out a subscription, so I won't miss anything else! Many thanks.

Guest trigrem
I have a copy of September 2004 you are welcome too on the understanding that you delay returning it until April 12th as I will be away from 9th March until 13th April and the post office would return it to you after 7 days if they could not get it through the letterbox. Just send me your address. Doug

Guest Ro Lee
Absolutely brilliant, many thanks. We are new to this and struggling to understand the weight issue (although we have been on a weighbridge) so to be able to read Mel's first article will be really helpful. Yes, I understand what you say about returning the mag. My address is: "Beama", Goosemuck Lane, Littlemoor Lane, Sibsey, Boston, Lincolnshire PE22 0TU Thank you again, enjoy your trip away. Rowan Lee (Mrs.) rowanlee@btopenworld.com

Guest Ro Lee
Many thanks to Tigrem, and just to let everyone know I am sorted now. Amazed at the response, grateful to MMM for providing this facility.

Guest Mel E
Soory, only just seen this - if you want me to email the article to you, let me know. I have the original of course (without pics!)

Guest Rowan Lee
Many thanks Mel, but Doug (Tigrem) was as good as his word and has loaned me his copy of the August edition which I received yesterday. We had our van MOT'd yesterday for the first time and even the guy there tried to persuade us that our plated weight of 3500kg was the unladen weight and we could load it up to 5500kg! Thank goodness we know better. However, having been to the weighbridge, we were dismayed to find that with very little on board, just gas bottles and diesel, not even a driver, the weight was 3260kg. We are now looking at replating and yes, having read your September and December articles as well, I think I understand the implications of doing this. We started all this because we want to tow a car on a trailer, but now having read your original article, I have serious doubts about the rear axle weight. Unfortunately when we went to the weighbridge, we didn't know how to get the individual axle weights. Just driving the front wheels on seemed far to simplistic in an area otherwise fraught with difficulty. So I guess we shall have to go back to the weighbridge with a normal load this time. It all serves to keep us busy, doesn't it? Thank goodness we don't have a day job. Just as a matter of interest, we have just moved to this area (Lincolnshire) from the North East. Lincolnshire CC Trading Standards gave us two "public" weighbridges, one of which was a potato merchant who no longer exists and the other was Boston Docks. The man there was very cheesed off with people keep ringing him up as they are not a public facility. He directed us to "a potato place, somewhere on the A52". We found it eventually, and sure enough it is a public weighbridge, but it took some hunting down. Trading Standards never did get back to me. This is ironic because our main route west takes us past the DOT weighbridge on the A52 between Sleaford and Newark, and which has been the subject of much correspondence on various motorhome forums where people have been pulled in for spot checks. So until we get sorted out, we shall have to go a different way! Thank you so much for such detailed and informative articles, which are essential reading. You cannot imagine how helpful you have been to us. Many thanks indeed and best wishes, Rowan Lee

Archived