Should Air Conditioning Unit "growl"?

Berniea

I had a Dometic Air conditioning unit fitted earlier this year and used it for the first time when we were in France last month.

It cools fine, but when used in the air conditioning mode there is a constant "growling"! (that's the best word I can use to describe the noise).

If I run it at its lowest fan speed the growling is the dominant noise and if I increase the fan speed to its maximum, the growling doesn't get any louder but it can still be heard over the noise of the fan.

This growling ONLY happens when in the cooling mode, it never happens when in extraction mode or just circulating the air.

Is this normal?

We had the Truma Compact Plus fitted last month, this is a very quiet unit and certainly does not emit a ‘growl’ on any setting. I think the next course of action is to return to the company which fitted it, have them run it for a while to see if there is a problem either with the unit or in the fitting of it.

The way you've described it sounds like the compressor to me (the reciprocating ones growl) . There could be a panel resonating making it sound worse. Or the compressor feet rubber mounts may be overtightened or even missing. Also the compressor body might be touching something.

Let the installer check it over.

• 1 month later...

Archived