Shurflo waterpump misbehaving

Dickybeau

I’m in darkest France. My water pump has begun to work intermittently with taps full on in either hit or cold! If I turn toilet and sink tap on it runs smoothly. This is a new phenomenon. The pump is a replacement for the original Bürstner fitnent a year ago. Any clues about why this has happened? I live in Scotland and don’t usually have lime scale. I’ve been away in France since June 1 so I’m not sure I’d expect rapid clogging from limescale in that time frame particularly if I used campsites 50% of the time.

I understand that Shurflo have replaceable diaphragms. Is this a likely cause?

Guest pelmetman

Airlock in the kitchen department ;-) ......

Just run both taps full blast usually sorts it :D .......

Although you prolly have one of those fancy mixer taps :-S ........

So try left and then right :-> .......

nothing to do with the bathroom tap , it's all to do with pressure, op said with all taps running it's ok, so no pressure buildup, only 1 tap running more pressure, I know because I had excatly the same problem and the screw solved it right away

The adjustment screw on the pump adjusts the switching point of the integral pressure-switch.

The switch is operated by a diaphragm, one side of which is the (pressurised) water, and the other is the plunger for the switch.

As the pressure rises (e.g. when the taps are closed) , the plunger is pushed and the pump is switched off. When the taps are opened, there is a drop in pressure, the plunger is released and the pump switches on.

If the pump does not respond quickly when a tap is opened, then there is certainly a possibility that the screw needs adjusting (likewise, if the pump does not turn off quickly, but runs on).

There is a sweet-spot on the adjustment such that a drop in pressure immediately switches the pump on, and a rise in pressure rapidly turns the pump off. Over-adjustment is likely to cause the reverse problem, so a search for a reasonable central point is important.

This all assumes that the water system is (only) pressure switched, which most Shurflo installations are. If the pump is energised by microswitched taps (or alternatively, by a hybrid microswitch/pressure system as I had on a Hobby), then there could be issues with microswitches at the taps.

Archived