Side panel construction - Benimar

laimeduck

I have just re-installed my Omnistore awning so I had to drill new mounting holes through the side panels and was surprised that the panels appear to be some sort of smooth composite material probably 2-3mm thick, not painted.

I don't think it is fibreglass - the drill swarf was very smooth.

The reason I ask is that after 16 years the gloss finish on the panels is very dull - almost a matt finish now and I wonder what product to use to see if I can restore some gloss? Wound a cutting polish have any effect

I use Autoglym restorer and polish

Thanks Jeremy

My memory, and contemporaneous reviews:

Link to Road Test

...have it as GRP.

If I were looking to spruce it up, frankly I'd use marine quality grp/gel coat products.

Certainly, in the past, I've had reasonable success on GRP with 3M marine products, and I note they still do a range of such products, including combined cutting and wax products in various levels of aggressiveness.

As always with these things, best to try on one of the less-conspicuous areas first.

All good chandlers will have a range of GRP products (and of course, widely available on-line).

(Link shortened - Keithl)

Robinhood - 2020-09-11 7:30 PM

My memory, and contemporaneous reviews:

Link to Road Test

...have it as GRP.

If I were looking to spruce it up, frankly I'd use marine quality grp/gel coat products.

Certainly, in the past, I've had reasonable success on GRP with 3M marine products, and I note they still do a range of such products, including combined cutting and wax products in various levels of aggressiveness.

As always with these things, best to try on one of the less-conspicuous areas first.

All good chandlers will have a range of GRP products (and of course, widely available on-line).

Robin - As always, thank you very much for the info. 3M Perfect-It Gelcoat Medium will be the one I'll try first.

I'll do some before and after shots and let you know if & how it works!

Plus thanks for the review article - I wish I'd had this in 2010 when I bought the van!

Jeremy

Only you can judge the level of oxidation you've got, and patently it isn't the cheapest of stuff to buy if you "go too low", but I think I would be tempted to try the slightly less-aggressive version first, and check whether the results are acceptable.

With cutting compounds, IMO the least cutting for an acceptable result the better (though, to be fair, if the stuff works, I don't think using the medium grade would be a critical error).

Archived