Silkaflex

Cliffy

I have resealed the frame to roof vent joints with Silkaflex EBT. I now find I should have used Silkaflex 512 or 221. Will this cause a problem? Do I need to redo them.

I cut off the old sealer which had dried out and ran a fillet of sealer around the frames. It has been done for around 3 months and I have not noticed any problems except it has yellowed slightly.

The link provided by Mel B should reveal that the Sikaflex-EBT product is aimed at the building trade. I’ve used it as a general purpose ‘grabbing’ adhesive and it has been effective, but it has a different consistency to Sikaflex-512 Caravan and it will yellow somewhat.

Sikaflex-512 Caravan is possibly the ‘right’ SIKA product for sealing round the frame of a motorhome’s rooflight, though I notice that John Wickersham, in his “Build Your Own Motorcaravan” book’s article on fitting a rooflight, apparently favours Sikaflex-252.

I’d probably pick Henkel Teroson MS 939 for this type of task, not because I know that it’s definitely superior to Sikaflex 512/252 (or other manufacturers’ equivalents) but because I’ve used it a fair bit in the past and been satisfied with the result.

You’d have been better not to have used Sikaflex-EBT, but I agree with Mel B’s view that it should be adequate. I can’t see any benefit in redoing the sealing.

Thanks Mel and Derek

I am happy with the appearance and you have both reassured me that it will be OK. I will monitor it over the winter with a view to redoing it in the future with the recommended sealer if necessary.

A GOOGLE-search will retrieve plenty of potential suppliers

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sikaflex-252

and if you look at the asking prices (and make sure you take account of delivery charges) you should be able to decide which is cheapest. As delivery charges can add substantially to the cost, you might try contacting SIKA to see if there’s an agent near you who might have 252 in stock (though it’s often the case that agents won’t sell a single cartridge of adhesive).

Do you actually NEED Sikaflex-252, as Sikaflex-512 Caravan is more widely available and you could very likely find it in stock at a caravan/motorhome dealership? Whatever you get, check the catrridge’s ‘use before’ date.

I notice in Mel's link above, that Silkaflex address on the advert, is at Watchmead Welwyn garden Herts.

That address was the Loctite address, who have moved to Hemel Hempstead Herts some 10/12 years ago. So try phoning them (if you want advice) on adhesives. They do have knowledgeable people there. (OH used to work for them , as an engineer!)

PJay

PJay - 2015-08-12 9:45 AM

I notice in Mel's link above, that Silkaflex address on the advert, is at Watchmead Welwyn garden Herts.

That address was the Loctite address, who have moved to Hemel Hempstead Herts some 10/12 years ago. So try phoning them (if you want advice) on adhesives. They do have knowledgeable people there. (OH used to work for them , as an engineer!)

PJay

Not sure Pauline. Asking Henkel-Loctite about Sika products might get a somewhat "dusty" answer!

Sika (makers of Sikaflex adhesive sealants) still give Watchmead, Welwyn Garden City, on their website as the correct address for their UK head office (tel: 01707 394444).

Henkel-Loctite Adhesives Ltd are a different company who produce similar adhesive sealants under the Teroson brand name. They are at Hemel Hempstead (tel: 01442 278100).

Both firms produce a very similar range of these sealants, both are German, and both have excellent technical advisory services - but commercially they are fierce competitors! :-D

Brian

I THINK Pauline was suggesting that Henkel-Loctite might be contacted for advice on adhesives generally, rather than advice on SIKA adhesives.

Besides being a direct competitor to SIKA, Henkel-Loctite markets adhesives under several brand-names and the products themselves can overlap when it comes to their suitability for a particular application.

I began to use Henkel Teroson/Terostat MS 939 about 10 years ago. I wanted an exact match for the peculiar off-white-colour adhesive that had been used to seal the joints in my Hobby motorhome’s shower-compartment and it turned out that this was MS 939. I had some difficulty obtaining this in the UK and - as Pauline said - I found the Henkel(UK) technical people very helpful and knowledgeable. Not too long before I sold the Hobby in 2014 I ‘re-ceilnged’ its shower-compartment and found it impossible to obtain the off-white stuff.

MS-939 is available in white, black and grey, and I’m pretty sure I got mine from here

http://www.buckandhickman.com/find/keyword-is-teroson

“Sikabond” adhesives (as will be evident from here)

https://www.sourcewoodfloors.co.uk/products/flooring-accessories/sika-other-adhesives?gclid=CMXlxurTtMcCFcTJtAodT90Ong

are particularly appropriate for wood-flooring work. I’m doubtful how suitable they would be for, say, sealing around a leisure-vehicle’s rooflight or sealing a shower-compartment’s joints.

• 3 years later...
Guest pelmetman

To add to the above ;-) .........

I bought a Sikaflex to bond the over cab perspex windows I made a few years ago from the a "caravan dealers" and assumed it was up to the job because it had a picture of a window on the tube *-) ..........

Two years later I had to do them again :-| .......It appear's UV resistant is quite important when picking your Sikaflex ;-) .......

P1010479.JPG.17f3c4ee7ea9f4469bb1a08a1b5af797.JPG

P1010491.JPG.0801861ce7380b0f1d18f4b314935a49.JPG

Archived