Sink/shower traps?

Albertslad

We had our van converted about 10 years ago, and I admit I took little interest in some of the details; I left that to the converter.

Also, I don’t believe there were as many possibilities then.

I’ve just spotted waste water traps, and I’m quite interested.

Most of the pipe work in our van seems to be of the corrugated variety, which I think needs very regular flushing out.

I’m interested in what those of you who change your van frequently have, Traps or no traps and smooth or corrugated pipework?

I’m never likely to drink the water from our storage tank, and I had the capacity substantially reduced some time ago, but maybe there’s a simple further improvement to make?

Ten years is a long time, maybe time to make some improvements.

We always took the view that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I flushed the waste pipes and tanks out at the end of each season of use and again at the start of every year of use and usually that was sufficient, but if a nasty niff arose midseaon another flush through with diluted bleach ususually cleared it.

I only ever flushed the hot and cold tap pipes and water tank with tap water and never had a problem.

Bleach was effective, easily obtainable anywhere and best of all - cheap!

Ensure that no remnants of bleach remain in contact with stainless steel as I understand it can corrode, that said it never happened to any van of ours.

Usually the waste pipe runs themselves created a water trap by virtue of not being level so a trap was never an issue for us.

We did drink tank water, not very ofen cold, more often boiled for tea etc. but not for any reason other than bottled water tasted better than stored tank water which could get a plasticy taste.

Some do, some don't, its a personal choice.

Our van 04 REG has a variety of pipe work and yes it has traps on the waste outlets from the sinks, about an inch deep these are, and hold very little water and work well IE no smells from them, I make sure however that there is always water in them after driving some distance or the van standing for long periods unused, as the water in the traps can slosh out away when driving and evaporate when the vans stands unused, I just run the tap for a second or two just to top up the traps, I put a drop of bleach down the plug holes now and then , this eventually gets into the waste tank and keeps that sweet , also a drop of fabricate softener liquid [LIDL ] goes down the plug hole now and again, I use the Fabric softener liquid in our toilet Cassette too and that keeps it smell free and very clean, The corrugated pipes in the van have caused no problems for me in all the time I have had the van either , my wife uses a bowl in the sink when washing up too and this water gets disposed of wherever we think appropriate , won't get into a discussion about this old Chestnut, each to their own I say hee hee We too never drink the water from our water tank, no reason not to as I put sterilizing tablets and fluid in the tank as and when, but we prefer our drinking water and tea and coffee making water from the 5 litre container used just for this, it is ordinary tap water unless we are foreign when we buy bottled water for drinking, only pennies for 5 litre containers so no worries there .

Archived