Sites, aires and overnight stops.

Brian Kirby

There are many requests for info on sites/stopovers on this forum.

I wonder, would it be possible to allocate a separate forum to the above, on which contributors could share any of the above (UK or abroad) they have found agreeable or useful?

Would others be willing to contribute/reveal their own favourites, and would such a facility be generally useful?

What do you think?

Regards

One of the things I like about this site is that everything's together. I am therefore not in favour of splitting the site into separate component subjects. Start with one - camp sites, etc., and they'll soon add another.

Sorry Chaps!

I think I may not have made myself quite clear.  What I was trying to suggest was a bit of this forum, not some different forum, like a permanent string page (or whatever its called!), via which contributors could post information about sites, aires or whatever, that they had used and thought good.

The trouble with so many of the more general strings is how quickly they go off at a tangent and loose their way.  What I was trying to propose was a "page" on which just sites and aires etc info could be posted and updated. 

A reference point, if you will, that might be useful to beginners, or those going to new areas, so that they get the feel of what is on offer and what to expect.  Bit like a FAQ section on sites etc, but providing a reliable and useful directory.

I think it is a very good idea Brian I received loads of information on all sorts of topics but like you said, the interest in Aires, Campsites and peoples favourite places are constantly asked for and at the moment are all over the place. It could look something similar to the link below, which is just a test site that I'm playing with but once you clicked on the section containing forum members favourite sites, it would be exactly the same. I also agree with Mel E, it would be better to also keep everything under one roof http://www.chocolatebones.co.uk/forum/ Try the above link and then Click on [b]Try out your first question [/b]to see how it might look on this forum You could actually have a section entitled Favourite sites in -------- Why not start off with favourite Aires and campsites in [b]Brittany[/b] :-D If everyone could then use it before friday that would be great (lol) Cheers Kevandali

Hi, I think it is a great idea, the only thing i would add is that it needs to be in a searchable format, and hopfully contain certain items that are useful to motorhomers? eg. Public transport within XY miles or Minutes, Food shops within XY, within XY of a beach, Dogs welcome, open all year, etc etc, I am sure other people can add the items they would like to be rcorded and a format can be established Brian

If the powers that be think it is a good idea and other forum members of course (look at the poll) How about creating a simple template with all the common questions motorhomers want to know, that way, when all you veteran travellers of distant lands return to our shores you can fill in the template with your own comments and post it in the right section. Seems a really good idea but not sure how easy it would be to set up if the admin lot decided to go that way? Also takes the pressure off me if we go to a bad site, I can always blame someone else :-D

Hi. I will start with the items i would like to know (1) Site Type :- Aire, Municipal, CC, C&CC, Wide Camping Spot (2) Electric Hook-Up Yes/No and Amps (3) Hard Standings Yes/No how many ? (4) Suitable for RV's maximum size (5) Public Transport within Miles or Minutes (6) Beach Yes/No within Distance (7) Suitable for Dogs Yes/No (8) Food Shops/Supermarket within Miles/Minutes (9) Swiming Pool (10) Bar/Pub within Miles/Minutes (11) Resteraunt within Miles/Minutes (12) Sat/Nav corodinates also Lat/lon for autoroute (13) The rates per night inc electric (14) Country, County, Town, Village, street, post code Etc Etc just add what you would like and repost,

Guest starspirit
In spite of the somewhat dubious spelling of 'useful', the moderator (fat controller?) has made 'useful tips' a 'sticky' (his/her word) - so perhaps he/she will consider doing the same for 'overnight spots'. However, we don't really need reams of info for each location do we? Just a very brief description of somewhere where it is pleasant or safe or legal to park up for a night, any cost involved, whether any of the three types of waste disposal points, or fresh water, are available will suffice for me. Too much detail and the whole 'list' becomes a huge chore to plough through. So no chit chat - just concise facts. Heres a good 'un that I prepared earlier. Chester 'Little Roodee' Riverside car park. On the A483 main road near the racecourse. Riverside walks and walkable to city centre. No facilities and a little daytime road noise which drops at night. Cost £1 pay and display from 5.00pm to 9.00 am (and pay again to stay during daytime to explore city). Often a van or two for company.

Enodreven

Want someone to drive you there, as well :-)? 

If it's to be that detailed, I doubt anyone would ever take to time to file the info.

It would have to be quite a simple recommentadion for, for example camping whatever at wherever and why it was so good.  If we start inventing forms, it will never be done. 

It'd be keeping the info searchable, and in one place, that (I think) would pay dividends.  Then, when you wanted all the details, you could look them up in the usual way.

Ah well, just an idea.

You do need a common field to let you do some sorting, say County in the UK, Department in France, [ok - that's 2 fields *-) ] I like OS refs for the UK, but that doesn't travel to the rest of Europe, Sat/Nav isn't used by everyone. So the fields should really be: Country : County/Dept/Province : Town then free text to cover other info? yeah ?? B-)

Guest starspirit
Road numbers and distance from an easily found point like, for example, '3 miles west on A40 from it's junction with A48 at Carmarthen'. should suffice for location. And no there ain't one there!

Archived