Sliding door handle

ChrisCM

We have a Ducato based PVC, whilst I’m really happy with our van one thing that bugs me is the sliding door and the lack of a proper handle to pull the door closed from inside, I seem to have to rely on pushing the door closed with the heel of my hand on the window aperture as the door release handle seems, to my eyes, a bit fragile.

Does anyone else have these concerns, and if so has anyone found a solution?

Thanks,

Chris

Our PVC is over 12 years old, and this was an early problem. The solution was to work upon a piece of beech recovered from a discarded chair. Two M6 A2 cap screws and a pair of rivnuts completed the installation. For good ergonomics, the handle is fitted at shoulder height inside the van.

Alan

Our PVC is over 12 years old, and this was an early problem. The solution was to work upon a piece of beech recovered from a discarded chair. Two M6 A2 cap screws and a pair of rivnuts completed the installation. For good ergonomics, the handle is fitted at shoulder height inside the van.

Alan

IMG_0005R.jpg.e3c1ca407f7eb4cbe9b472bd73de821b.jpg

Yes, that’s my next quest I think, scour the diy outlets, screwfix etc and see what I can come up with. I don’t think my woodworking skills are up to Alan’s standard! I’ve got a rear safari door handle off a Land Rover Defender but I think it would look a bit agricultural!

I’m a bit surprised there is no specific commercial solution given the number of PVCs there must be out there! And what about a halfway door stop?

Chris

Halfway door stop - a tennis ball is just the right size to wedge between the lower door track and the body. Cheap and you can fix the door in whatever position you like.

Alternatively, there's the Stopsy - a metal bracket available from German outlets, or a very nicely machined aluminium double wedge that can be stuck to the centre rail to achieve the same thing. It seems to me to be less "aggressive" and therefore kinder to the door mechanism than the Stopsy, but budget about £50 to import one from the States:

https://www.nortonfab.com/?product=sprinter-van-door-stop

Despite the link stating Sprinter van, they also make them for the Ram Promaster (Ducato) and Transit.

A tennis ball is a lot cheaper :-D

Deneb - 2019-04-15 11:47 AM

A tennis ball is a lot cheaper :-D

Thanks for the info! Certainly is!

Looking at the US site it looks to be very simple and they’ve helpfully given the dimensions, I might try and fabricate something out or some hard nylon bar that I have kicking around the workshop ??

Chris

ChrisCM - 2019-04-15 11:06 AM

Yes, that’s my next quest I think, scour the diy outlets, screwfix etc and see what I can come up with. I don’t think my woodworking skills are up to Alan’s standard! I’ve got a rear safari door handle off a Land Rover Defender but I think it would look a bit agricultural!

I’m a bit surprised there is no specific commercial solution given the number of PVCs there must be out there! And what about a halfway door stop?

Chris

Thank's for all the accolades, but really I am only an amateur when it comes to woodwork. Gouging out the finger grip was perhaps the hardest part. I have even been known to file the outer corners before finishing with sandpaper.

As regards the door stop there is a commercial device called "Stopsy", it is glued into the upper door runner. If I remember correctly it is / was of German manufacture, and cost about £30 a few years ago.

However I made my own from a scrap piece of aluminium angle with a slot for the upper roller cut in one leg.

It works on all reasonable slopes.

Alan

Alan

Hi Alan,

Sorry to be a bit thick! But is your stop on the top of the door? When I looked at ours I thought it would have to go on the bottom runner and the bottom roller would run into it and be held until you pulled the handle enough to lift the roller up and out of the recess in the stop thus allowing the door to open/close?

Btw mines a 2015 so as you say things may be different.

Chris

paulmold - 2019-04-17 9:13 AM

For the inside handle ,I got a grab handle off a Landrover Discovery and mounted it on the window ledge.

Thanks Paul, I’ll look at those, the Defender rear door handle would probably work as well but a bit agricultural!

Chris

My Symbol has a substantial handle mounted on the inside of the leading edge of the sliding door

https://i65.servimg.com/u/f65/20/02/76/36/th/slidin10.jpg

However, although this is useful in drawing the door closed, the final action of shutting the door at first attempt usually involves some form of brute force or luck - or both.

To ease this situation I fitted a folding handle (an ex over-door Audi grab handle) below the window halfway along the door. This is used to finally tug the door into its closed position.

G

Interesting that your 2009 Auto-Sleepers Symbol’s sliding door has the handle shown in your photo with a matching ‘cut-away’ in the trim-panel, but there’s no equivalent handle on Chris’s 2015 Devon Aztec.

Most recent-ish vehicles have strong interior grab-handles above their doors that might be suitable (rather than having to carve a wooden handle) and handles/straps are marketed to aid entry/exit from vehicles for people with disabilities.

ChrisCM - 2019-04-23 7:54 AM

Thanks Gram, that’s exactly what I had in mind, I agree Derek, it is strange that this isn’t a standard fitment in all PVCs!

Chris

Thinking about it a bit more, I suspect that the reason the Symbol has the handle and matching trim-panel is that Auto-Sleepers builds it on a posh ‘window van’ base, (ie. that has glass side-windows as original equipment), while the Aztec starts life as a (humble ;-) ) panel van with a metal body that Devon cuts holes in in order to fit double-glazed acrylic side-windows.

Archived