Slow cooker

Deffheads

Guest pelmetman

I'd of thought at this time of year it would cook outside in the sun without being plugged in ;-) .........

I have 8-) ......

We have a small slow cooker and sometimes when we are travelling we have it plugged in with an inverter so we have a meal ready when we arrive at our destination. To deal wirh spillage while on the move we put it in the sink & have rubber bands to keep the lid on. There is a problem however ....... the gorgeous smell of whatever you are cooking pervades the van when you are travelling!

How long is a piece of string?

I assume that you are wanting to power a slow cooker via an inverter from solar panels. What is the rating of the solar panels, and what is the rating of the slow cooker? Assume 90% efficiency for inverter. Our domestic slow cooker is rated at up to 190W depending on voltage, so you would need 190 / 0.9 = 211W of solar, IF the solar could provide 100% of its maximum output, which is most unlikely.

The difference would have to be provided from your battery, whch could become seriously discharged when you consider the time for which slow cookers are operated.

Road Pro used to market a 12V slow cooker, which only required 7A from a nominal 12V supply. That equates to 84W, which may be possible from a 100W solar panel in bright sunlight, but if you are talking about 10 hours overnight from a battery, than you are asking for 70Ahr, assuming that the cooker draws power continuously.

There are several offers for the 12V slow cooker on Ebay, but from the USA, so when postege is added you would have to start thinking from £45 upwards.

Alan

Deffheads - 2019-05-17 7:21 AM

I love the technical detail, but fail to understand it. Just wanted to know if possible during daylight [sorry, sunny condition] whether the battery would stay charged with a 120w solar via amttp controller?

You've only just added a little detail which might give anyone answering at least a clue!

I am sorry, but the words "while driving" did not appear in your original post. You specifically mentioned "off grid", which suggests that the vehicle would be stationary. What you have done does not seem to be any different from laimeduck's post.

Alan

Archived