Smart Motorways ?

witzend

Signed it.

I drove lorries throughout Europe so I don't scare easy, but these so called Smart motorways scare me to death 8-)

Reminds me of another cheap and nasty quick fix - 'surface dressing' - the practice of tarring and spreading loose chippings on roads instead of a proper resurfacing. Never seen it outside UK.

We need them to invest more of our road tax on building proper roads.

Problem is getting English politicians to move away from short term-ism quick fixes sold by party donors, and accept a solution that involves a lot of expense and upheaval, without showing any benefits until after the next election. :-S

Done,

can't stand them, Only driven on them a couple of times, nearly got splatted by a large Arctic undertaking on what would have been the hard shoulder, I avoid them if possible, maybe that's what the highways want........

Done - Both of us !

Having suffered two breakdowns on 'None Smart' Motorways - both related to the same duff BOSCH FUEL RAIL SENSOR (before the 'Anti Fiat Ducato brigade' start !). We know full well the full terror of watching 44 Toner's passing by, missing collision with the Motorhome by mere millimetres whilst on the (standard) hard shoulder (ie:- Motorhome O/A width). This despite getting the nearside wheels on to the grass as much as possible !... The very thought of a breakdown on a so called "Smart Motorway" really brings us out in shivers of fear >>>

May we both appeal to all Motorhome owners / users to make full use this Anti Smart Motorway link ?

Many Thanks,

Dave & Ann Adams :-|

Before I get burnt at the stake...I also think "Smart Motorways" are dangerous...but ban new one's and return the hard shoulders!! We are all aware of why the hard shoulders are being included in live lanes. Cheapness and speed in delaying the gridlock that we can expect I would offer. I believe the original concept for SM was to have the refuges much closer together, but for cost saving these are much further apart. Also I think I read that it is 20 or so minutes before a broken down vehicle is recognised by the camera system on average. Surely these two things if they can be addressed would go some way to making the SM's safer. The M20 down my way has become a SM..... initially traffic flow much improved. But now appears to be "filling" back up to the old days. What happens if the SM are returned to original. Are we all happy to lose more land to either New motorways or widened one's. Think we could do with a "very quick" enquiry into making them really safe, not just in name, before going back.

• 3 weeks later...
I like the smart motorways, they do seem to help a lot in areas where congestion is worst although that is easy to forget once it’s sorted, breakdowns are a real problem, very similar to what we have always had on the A1 or any other major dual carriageway and therefore education important in regards of what to do in the event of a breakdown, hope we can do this before we vote to go back to gridlock and impossible journey times. I take a bit of comfort in the fact smart motorways are monitored for breakdowns and emergency services despatched, many dual carriageways are not. I note the increase in deaths per mile of smart motorways vs conventional motorways and therefore a innovative change is required, we can’t just go back to where we were, can we?

There have been several anti-smart-motorways UK petitions, plus this ‘judicial review’ crowd funding approach

https://smartmotorwayskill.co.uk/petitions-we-get-a-lot-of-messages-about-petitions-please-read-this-post/

The idea - replace the hard-shoulder with a traffic-carrying lane - is OK provided one accepts that the result will inevitably be the occasional major accident in which people will die.

Gman - 2021-06-12 10:58 AM

What hope is there? it you can't post photos?

OAL Moderator - 2006-08-22 11:31 AM

Q: How do I attach a file to a forum posting?

A: The procedure for attaching a file to a forum posting is as follows:

1: Type the posting’s text into the Message box.

2: Tick the box titled "Attach a file after posting”.

3: Click the posting’s SUBMIT button.

An “Attach a file” box should now appear, When it does

4: Click on the “Choose File” button.

The response to clicking on the “Choose File” button will depend on the device you are using. But however your device (PC, Mac, tablet, phone) responds, you’ll need to identify and choose the file you want to attach. The file-name should now appear alongside the “Choose File” button. When it does

5: Click on the “Submit” button.

If the file you are trying to attach has a format that the forum’s software can handle, a message (in red) “Upload successful” should appear, plus information showing the name of the file and its size.

6: Now click on "Return to the thread” in the “Actions” box to complete the process. (If you want to attach several files, repeat actions 4 and 5 as necessary, and then click on "Return to the thread”.)

......................................................................................................................................

THE CRITICAL THING IS TO ENSURE THAT THE SIZE OF THE FILE BEING ATTACHED DOES NOT EXCEED 100KB

Attempting to attach a fairly large file with a size exceeding 100KB may prodce the following error message

Request object error 'ASP 0104 : 80004005'

Operation not Allowed

/forums/includes/include-upload.asp, line 51

However, if the file is really large, the attachment process may fail with no error message and with “no file selected” appearing alongside the “Choose File” button.

......................................................................................................................................

If a file has a .jpg extension (eg. photo.jpg) the attached file-image should be permanently visible on the posting.

If a file has a .jpeg extension (eg. photo.jpeg) just the name of the file will be shown at the foot of the posting. If a forum-member then clicks on the file-name, the member’s own device (PC, Mac, tablet, etc.) will attempt to handle it and the image will normally become visible.

It is possible to attach other file-types provided that the file-size is no larger than 100KB. However, there is no certainty how the forums’ software will react.

The problem with this petition is it uses the incorrect terminology. Smart motorways have the overhead gantries but what most people object to is “all lane running” with no hard shoulder. Not all smart motorways are all lane running.

For me all lane running is what I find concerning. I never go into the inside lane and prefer to leave two lanes between me and the road edge.

All that being said a university comparison of accidents between prior and post all lane running shows a reduction in accidents, perhaps because drivers are more concerned and therefore more careful on those sections.

Petrr

peterjl - 2021-06-12 6:58 PM

The problem with this petition is it uses the incorrect terminology...

Petrr

Many (most?) of the gov-uk petitions that have any ‘technical’ content are either simplistic or inaccurate.

This RAC article (that has a date of 25 January 2021, but carries much older comments)

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/smart-motorways/

differentiates between smart-motorways that involve ‘all lane running’, ‘dynamic hard shoulder’ or ‘controlled motorway’ schemes.

As you rightly say, it’s the ‘all lane running’ smart-motorway variant that - for obvious reasons - people are really concerned about and that the petition (sort of) focuses on. The trouble is that, once a petition on a particular subject has been submitted and accepted, even though that petition may be poorly worded it can’t be corrected and far better worded petitions on essentially the same issue will be rejected.

The petition has a deadline of 27 July 2021 and 8735 signatures at the moment, so there’s a reasonable chance that the 10K signatures threshold will be reached and a government response will be triggered.

8778 signatures so far.

Only another 1223 to get a government reply - fudge that it will be as ever with any political party they are not really listening.

But at the current rate it may well fail so a bit more publicity might help?

Archived