Smell when engine warms up

artheytrate

Since we had the recall to replace the EGR pipe on our 2017 Globecar based on the Fiat Ducato 150 bhp, we get a very strong curry like smell when the van is run after it has stood awhile.

As the engine starts to come to temperature the smell is quite strong but after a few miles it disappears until the next time we use the van.

I thought it would gradually burn off but we have done just over 10,000 miles now and it is still occurring, I would take it back to Platts garage the Fiat dealers but they have now closed down.

Does anyone else get this smell from their engine.

John.

This reminds me of the days when securing a kipper to an engine was a fishy treat for the owner, it was possible then to open a bonnet from the outside. Another game was to block the rear wheels clear of a surface, usually when the owner was in the pub, knowing he wouldn't notice a difference when leaving.

Today I took my Ducato based van to imperial commercial garage in Derby and they had a quick look under the bonnet and found that PLATTS GARAGE Stoke on Trent who have ceased trading have not replaced the EGR pipework on the recall notice I had nearly 16 months ago.

Imperial seem to think that the EGR pipe has split and this is causing the smell, so now they’ve booked my van in again for Monday next week to do the work which PLATTS had been paid for under warranty.

If anyone else had this work done by PLATTS I would get their vans checked ASAP.

John.

Always pays to mark any thing a garage is supposed to change I had a water leak from cylinder head on a new car within a few weeks Dealer said they'd have to fit a new one. I marked the old one with a couple of taps with a centre punch. 2 days later when I went to pick it up after the new head had been fitted when I checked before leaving the dealer the marks where still there they had thought they'd try a additive first but omitted telling me. They fitted new head 2 days later

Archived