Smoke from under bonnet (fuel injectors)

Holmesdud

Hi, new to the forum. Citroen relay camper van xlwb. Smoke coming from under bonnet at tick over ,panic, taken to garage, new 5th fuel injector. All o.k. week later same thing back to garage can't find anything wrong. Couldn't find fuel leak or any problems. Just give it a good run to clean injector he said. Can't be right. Any idea's?

Had an oil change two years ago and chappie forgot to put cap back on. Had oil everywhere, all over the engine and my drive and smoke from under the bonnet. All in it cost me £315 for the oil change by the time I'd bought another 4 litres of oil.

Worth checking the cap's on properly?

Exhaust outlet is so close to the engine that if the wind is blowing in a certain direction it can rise up through the engine compartment and look like its coming from there. Can you take the plastic cover off the top of the engine (only 2 bolts) to get a better look to see where its coming from?

Holmesdud - 2021-04-30 11:40 AM

Hi, new to the forum. Citroen relay camper van xlwb...

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Dudley.

It might help to have more details of your camper - its age, the motor it is fitted with and (if it was made by a recognised converter) the converter’s name and the model of camper.

Assuming that your camper’s engine is a variant of the Ford-built motor fitted to many Citroen Relays and Peugeot Boxers, this powerplant has a chequered history when it comes to fuel-injector faults. However, as your vehicle went back to the garage after they’d changed an injector and they could not find a reason for the under-bonnet smoke at tick-over it’s difficult to advise.

I would have thought that a garage able to change an injector should have absolutely no difficult spotting the type of significant oil-leak Colin mentioned or that exhaust smoke is being blown back into the engine compartment.

You haven’t said if the smoking at tick-over is still happening. If it is and the vehicle can be inspected by the garage while the smoke is being produced, they ought to be able to diagnose the cause. However, if it has now stopped smoking (perhaps some spilled oil has now burnt off) it won’t be easy for the garage to identify the cause.

If it's still doing it what I would suggest is let the engine go cold, have a good look around the suspect area, ensure it's completely clean and then get someone to start the engine while you watch for any leakages, might be a drip or a spurt. It might just be a small leakage from somewhere that only occurs as you start the engine and then stops as the engine heats up. Maybe something that's cracked that once it get hot seals up, I've known it happen and it can be a bugger to find. Good luck.

The '5th. injector' on a Euro5 Boxer/Relay (Ford PUMA engine) is the one that injects diesel into the exhaust ahead of the oxidizing catalyst to raise the exhaust gas temperature during active DPF regeneration. More correctly an atomiser but routinely referred to as the 5th. injector.

It actually started smoking while in the garage and the mechanic was very vague about finding anything wrong however I have noticed a small patch of oil on the ground. It hasen't smoked for a week now but it just happens now and then nothing to do with wind . It has done it with no wind. Sounds like oil dropping on exhaust every now and then bugger to sort out . If the garage can't sort it what chance have I got.

Archived