Snipe 1 antenna repair?

DickB

The Snipe 1 antenna on my motorhome fails to lock on and now won't fold down. I have had advice from Avtex on resetting but though it worked previously it does no longer.

I will now remove the antenna as I am on the road for a few weeks yet, but does anyone have any further ideas, or knows of a repair agent? Avtex no longer support Snipe, so it looks like scrap unless there is someone who carries on out repairs.

Dick

My Snipe as also stopped working and I have tried everything to get it repaired but all the advice I have received is to scrap it.I find it difficult but I have decided to take it off my m,home and store it until I find somehow where to get it repaired if possible at a reasonable price .a new one is probably a cheaper option. fesspark

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the response. I have also searched extensively for a UK based repairer but without success. One company sells Snipes and supports them, but was not prepared to deal with any not supplied by them. Understandable really as he was fed up with sorting problems for Amazon and eBay sellers who provide no ongoing support.

I was hoping to use a firmware update to possibly resolve the problem, but the antenna failed in the erect position and despite all the suggested options I couldn't get it to fold. Clearly it wasn't possible to drive with it in this position so I have removed it so I now have 15kg of useless kit in the garage.

When I return home I will search again for a repairer though I don't hold out much hope. There are a number of suppliers of new Snipe antennas, and that would be the easy option as the base plate and cables are in place. However, I am not sure I want to take on such poorly supported equipment.

I have limited space on the roof and the Maxview VU Qube ll is probably the only one which will fit. Has anyone fitted one of these?

Dick

To continue the saga of the Snipe antenna repair. I have been told, with some authority, that the early Snipes (V1/2) were designed for portable use and to be set up on arrival at a site. They were not desigmed for roof mounting (vibration and shock) and exposure to the weather (unsealed circuit boards). The gearing was plastic and not up to the job. In effect they are not worth repairing, and I have not been able to find anyone who will do it.

The later models V3 (if upgraded) and Pro have steel/brass gears, sealed circuits and shock mountings and a positive lock when lowered. The latest Pro models gave a new circular mounting plate, but the existing mounting plate is compatible with the redesigned versions.

As space on my motorhome roof is limited and a dish antenna would be difficult to fit, I have ddcided to get an upgraded version Snipe that fits the existing mounting AND which has warranty and long term support.

I have found Pulsat and Falcon can supply the upgraded models with prices between £1000 to 1600. The latter price is from Falcon which includes fitting and a 5 year warranty.

Hope this is a help.

Dick

Archived