Snipe Pro Dish not working

Barryd999

This is not mine so I am asking for a friend who is not on the forums.

This is what he has told me so far

Had this satellite on van for 2 to 3 years ,got a good deal after old one failed, its always been a bit clunky or trouble finding signal but it always got there in the end, but yesterday couple of grindy noises and then nowt. Rang up place we got it in Cardiff and , no sir we don't repair or sell them anymore.great service that after spending £1600 with you. His reply, well we can sell you a different one.like I'm going to spend £2000 now with an after sales like that.

Bet it would cost loads to repair plus its Germany so postage won't be cheap.

Its a snipe pro.

I was surprised when I got it off the roof how badly it had weathered, all the paint was coming off looks like it was just enamel over bare metal, no undercoat or primer.

And under the cover all the grease had fallen off the cogs. No wonder it sounds like spanners.

I reckon where I got it from had too many returned and gave up on them.

But £1600 for it to only last under 3 years with minimal use is a pish take.

Sounds to me that its just a mechanical repair and a service perhaps. He is based in Nottingham area. Any ideas?

Barryd999 - 2021-01-06 6:00 PM

This is not mine so I am asking for a friend who is not on the forums.

Bet it would cost loads to repair plus its Germany so postage won't be cheap.

Any ideas?

Maybe worth seeing how much a service for it would cost I've been very surprised over the years how little some firms can post for.

My original Snipe failed earlier this year. It was fitted when I bought the motorhome, but it was probably around 6 years old. I tried endless dealers/suppliers and nobody was interested in doing anything. A couple said they would support only ones they had supplied. This attitude is based on the fact many units have been bought on eBay or direct from Germany, though I believe the European importer is now in France.

I went for the latest Snipe branded as Selfsat, bought and fitted by Falcon Technical based in Dutton, Cheshire. This new model has been greatly redesigned specially for motorhome fitting so I hope the early problems are resolved.

It may be worth a call to Falcon which has a website for details, though they might take the same view of dealing with units not bought from them.

Hope this helps

Dick

I had 2 of these one being a replacement for the other. Both filled with water and stopped working after 3 months of Scottish weather per unit. After threatening a section 75 claim against the (German) seller I finally managed to get a full refund (took several months). I replaced it with a SatFi dome which has been going strong for the past 5 years.

Karen

Archived