Snow socks

flyboyprowler

I can't say I've tried them myself but I remember reading somewhere that snow socks are prone to shredding under strain and fall into the chocolate teapot category of contingency arrangements.

A set of chains is a much more reliable contingency but I'm told getting them on when you're already stuck is a real struggle. Making sure your tyres are marked "m+s" (which means they have a more grippy tread pattern) has some value, using a set of proper winter tyres has quite a lot more.

I carry a set of plastic "rope ladder" traction aids which work well to get you moving on slippy grass or mud providing you remember to get them under the wheels as you park up. Whether they would work on snow I'm not so sure.

Call me a chicken but I don't go on the roads unnecessarily if snow is present or forecast, especially in the MH.

Autosocks are brilliant. I have M+S tyres on this and the last motorhome, for which I also had snow chains. Though I have winter tyres on my car we went out on Boxing Day in my daughters, summer shod, car. 4 inches of snow on 1 in 6 hills is impossible even in her super front wheel drive car. Fortunately, I had taken my snowsocks which fitted her car. - result got home safely and very easily. :-D

I'm going to buy snow socks for our new Rapido motorhome as the snow chains are so heavy.

Archived