Snowdonia Aires Survey

Cattwg

“Gwynedd Council and the Snowdonia National Park are conducting a ‘Wild Camping’ survey in order to develop

knowledge and opinion from Leisure vehicle owners. Motorhome and Campervan ‘Wild camping’ has in the past

few years been a topic of discussion in Gwynedd especially in certain areas where notable effect and trace is

being put on local communities and the environment.”

https://arolwg.gwynedd.llyw.cymru/index.php/396787?lang=en

I have just taken this link off another motorhome site, it’s an ‘aires’ survey. It’s interesting to see councils taking an interest in the possible provision of ‘aires’.

Cattwg :-D

the price for camping is a bit of an awkward thing to answer though,

I suggested £11-15 for overnight (8pm -8am) or £ 20 for a full 24 hrs as long as the area was secure.

Never having used an 'Aire' is that about the costing?

rajohno - 2021-03-14 1:27 PM

the price for camping is a bit of an awkward thing to answer though,

I suggested £11-15 for overnight (8pm -8am) or £ 20 for a full 24 hrs as long as the area was secure.

Never having used an 'Aire' is that about the costing?

Not when you can stay on continental aires with water, waste disposal, EHU and sometimes toilets and showers for around 10 euros a night, or even less where there are reduced facilities, no.

I welcome the increased interest by local authorities around the UK in seeking to provide additional facilities, but most of those I have seen proposed so far are aiming to set their prices at a similar level to commercial sites so as "not to disadvantage", or attract criticism from, the latter. Again, on the continent there are many commercial sites that also operate aires adjacent to the site proper at lower rates.

Surely competition is good for the consumer, or so we are always being told? Yet as far as alternative MH facilities in the UK are concerned that seems not to be the case so far :(

stevec176 - 2021-03-14 2:15 PM

They'll love you, I only put £5.00. With absolutely no facilities it's just a parking space so money for nothing.

If it has absolutely no facilities then its not an Aire, it's a parking space.

I said I'd pay up to £12 for overnight if the location was right and, ideally the electricity (if supplied) and water on an automatic meter. I'd pay more for 24hr's

In my experience of French aires, parking and waste dumps are very often free whilst water usually has to be paid for (€2), rarely is electricity free. Often there is an inclusive fee for parking, water and dumps, from experience this is usually between €5 and €12 per 24 hours. Electricity is usually extra.

Spanish aires are similarly priced.

I realise that pricing in the UK, France and Spain can be different but I hope, if aires are introduced, Councils don’t see them as ‘cash cows’

You have already talked about Spain and France.

The most expensive areas I have visited are in Norway (expensive country), typically the equivalent of 20 €.

In Denmark and Sweden seldom there are areas with services, however there are many parking spaces reserved for motorhomes which cost (equivalent) from 5 to 8 €/24h and many free.

Many campsites for a minimum price offer the possibility of overnight stay (the so-called short stop) at the entrance (similar to the English late arrival parking) from about 9 pm until 10 am and the possibility of using the bathroom and showers without being necessary to drive inside.

In Sweden there are dump points near many services on the motorways.

Many campsites, the so-called "camper friendly", sign at the entrance, give the possibility of camper service, either for free or for a very small amount.

In Germany you pay from € 5 to € 23, the most expensive (for example those of the Top Platz chain) are almost mini-campsites with bathrooms and showers.

Most of them have EHU, almost everywhere 0.50 €/KWh. In summer with fridge switched on, let say 1€/day.

When you arrive check if a free socket still has available energy left by the one before you. It has often happened to me.

Free areas are increasingly rare but there are still many.

In Italy the prices are very variable, from free to 20 €.

I too filled in this survey. I suggested £3-£5 for no or few facilities and £10 if electricity was included. There are a few surveys doing the rounds and I think the more of us that respond the more likely councils and the like will be more accommodating to those that just want an overnighter like they are on the continent. The National Trust for Scotland also has a survey This is the facebook group for the Campaign for Real Aires who are engaging with local councils and other areas where 'aires' may be considered if it's of interest-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/campra.uk

and a forum here

https://campra.org.uk/forum/

Especially in times of austerity (a year ago, we thought that was hopefully over, but it's just starting again!), Gwynedd council will undoubtably be wanting this scheme to be self-funding. As such, I'd suggest that as potential users, we don't penny-pinch, as we may be making it unviable, which would be a shame. Being self-contained with our 'van, manys the time we've only wanted a safe place to park for the night without needing all that a regular site offers. I put £10, and I'd be about two bottles of wine up on what I usually expect to pay.

I think I have put £5 to £10. We use a lot of aires in Europe as we are normally over the channel for over 6 months a year and over the 9 years we have been doing that on average spend just 2 nights a week on campsites rest on aires or wild camping. Most of the ones in France are free and have had many with free electric but that is a side issue. Happy with just a spot to park overnight and empty both grey and black tanks when required like every 3 days.

• 2 weeks later...
Cattwg - 2021-03-14 10:00 AM

I have just taken this link off another motorhome site, it’s an ‘aires’ survey. It’s interesting to see councils taking an interest in the possible provision of ‘aires’.

The only interest they have in motorhomes is how much they can charge Us for parking. They'll make a lot of parking available then pass by laws to ban overnight parking outside of these spaces and as a excuse for the high charge they'll say its so as not to under cut council tax paying campsites

Devon has done it already was £11 now its £30 a night

slowdriver - 2021-03-14 2:53 PM

If it has absolutely no facilities then its not an Aire...

The French would disagree with your statement.

The campingcar-infos website separates aires into eight different categories and defines the most basic ‘motorhome overnighting permitted’ installation as an "aire de parking tolérée la nuit pour camping-cars”

There’s an example here

https://www.campingcar-infos.com/photos.php?id=488

Archived